What's a Yamaha XS650"CR"?

Yamaha did indeed build a Cafe Racer in the early 80's, the Yamaha 550 Seca. I uncrated and rode our first one at the shop, took it for a spin and loved it.

It just didnt sell very well for some reason...the Specials were still selling way more often.

At any rate, that's a gorgeous bike you have there...very nice. 👍

View attachment 248791
Those are nice. I’m too tall for it.

VERY nicely done.
Congratulations on bringng your vision to life and thanks for sharing it.
The bike has great lines. Very clean and the details are evident throughout.
Personally I love cafe builds and this example stands out.
The color scheme, the accents, it all comes together quite well.
You have me wondering if that is an oil pressure or oil temperature guage?
That is one of the better oil cooler mountings I have seen. Kudos.
As Mailman mentioned...
We would absolutely love seeing any of your pics and insights regarding the build.
Many members post a "build thread" after the completion of their project.
Often the shared information can help other members with their own projects even if it's just inspirational.
The bonus of that great looking bike is being able to enjoy how well it rides...
Hopefully you will get many, many miles of enjoyment for all your diligence and effort.

Last edited:
They also tried to make a "Scrambler" version of the Bolt, with XT500 inspired tank graphics. Not a great seller either . Too long, too low, too heavy, too much rake, not enough suspension travel, not enough power.
The Scrambler design was Greg Hageman’s.

Wow! What a beautifully done bike. The first thing that caught my eye was that XS750 gas tank with the early Yamaha tank badge ( nice touch ) , another nice detail is the rear set pegs that look like factory mounts and the factory rubber covers. The very clean way you mounted the oil cooler, triple discs, and on and on, it’s just a super clean looking build. Well done!
View attachment 248794

Did you take any photos during your build? They would be interesting to see. 😃
Thank you Mailman for your generous praises.
Yeah, my post seems to be generating a lot of positive response, so maybe I should follow your suggestion and dig up some photos from the build process for interested members.

VERY nicely done.
Congratulations on bringng your vision to life and thanks for sharing it.
The bike has great lines. Very clean and the details are evident throughout.
Personally I love cafe builds and this example stands out.
The color scheme, the accents, it all comes together quite well.
You have me wondering if that is an oil pressure or oil temperature guage?
That is one of the better oil cooler mountings I have seen. Kudos.
As Mailman mentioned...
We would absolutely love seeing any of your pics and insights regarding the build.
Many members post a "build thread" after the completion of there project.
Often the shared information can help other members with their own projects even if it's just inspirational.
The bonus of that great looking bike is being able to enjoy how well it rides...
Hopefully you will get many, many miles of enjoyment for all your diligence and effort.

Thank you Bluzplayer for your kind compliments.
Mystery solved 🤔 ... It's an oil pressure gauge. These XS650's don't require much pressure but it's reassuring to know that the oil is indeed flowing.
And yeah, just as soon as I find the time I will be posting some close up detail pics as well as some of the build process.

Cheers :cheers:

Yamaha did indeed build a Cafe Racer in the early 80's, the Yamaha 550 Seca. I uncrated and rode our first one at the shop, took it for a spin and loved it.

It just didnt sell very well for some reason...the Specials were still selling way more often.

At any rate, that's a gorgeous bike you have there...very nice. 👍

View attachment 248791
Thanks Vincent, very nice of you to say.

What's a Yamaha XS650"CR" you ask?
Well, it's the XS650 based "Café Racer"🏍️ that Yamaha could have/should have built in the late 70s !
Yamaha could have, because they already had most of the necessary parts on their parts shelf.
And, Yamaha should have, because café racers are sooooooo Kool. :bike:
Unfortunately the Yamaha designers at the time were busy :umm:changing the already awesome :bow:XS650:bow2: into something . . . "Special".
And, after over 40 years of waiting for Yamaha to get with the program and still nothing, I decided I would build one myself.:thumbsup:
The criteria that I focused on for the build was ... that it incorporated as many period-correct Yamaha parts as possible ... it had to be
comfortable to ride ... and it had to look like it could have originated from the Yamaha assembly line.
So this is what I came up with. What do you think?View attachment 248777View attachment 248776View attachment 248775View attachment 248778View attachment 248779
Stunningly beautiful ! Well done mate!

I guess since a certain MoCo made an XLCR ( which I still think is the best looking model they ever made), Yamaha could just as well have made an XSCR. 😁
Yeah, I can't understand 🤔 what's stopping them from creating a retro, air/oil-cooled, parallel twin to take a bite out of the Triumph and RE market.
I'd gladly offer my services as a designer ... if that's all that's stopping them.😁

Yes, I would love to see some close-up pics of your rearsets. Looks like you made the footrests from stockers?
One of my build criteria was to re purpose period correct stock Yamaha parts as well as retain all the rubber vibration isolation features ... hence the XS850 footrest brackets. I also had to extend the kick start clamp in order to clear the brake pedal and the foot rest without bending the lever into multiple angles.

Attachments

• P_20210827_152549_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20210827_152549_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 52
  • P_20210903_141222_vHDR_Auto_1c.jpg
    P_20210903_141222_vHDR_Auto_1c.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P_20210910_171658_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20210910_171658_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 49
  • P5210067.JPG
    P5210067.JPG
    504.5 KB · Views: 52
  • P_20210827_162950_vHDR_Auto e.jpg
    P_20210827_162950_vHDR_Auto e.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010006 (3).JPG
    P1010006 (3).JPG
    526.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I think the old fashioned F86 fairing knecapped the Seca. The GPz was steamrolling everything by that time.
F86? Please explain more 🙂
Edit: I had to Google F86, and found the Korean war era fighter jet. I guess you find the Seca fairing to be inspired by the nose of that plane?

Kawasaki GPZ 550 had a power advantage over all other 500/550 models, and when the GPZ 600 came, few were close ...

Last edited:
Back