What's better - pressure switch or mechanical switch?

cooperxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting my brakes set up and have been considering buying the banjo type pressure switches to replace the old mechanical switches. I'm thinking the pressure switches react faster and might make it easier to hide the wiring.

Any opinons?

cooper...,

All switches fail eventually. With the pressure type switch, you have to bleed the brakes to replace it. Nobody likes to bleed brakes, especially on a XS650....:banghead:

Also, if you are redoing your brakes, then you want to go with a single SS line and eliminate the junction box. It's also #2 less expensive to just use a single brake line instead of two. :thumbsup:

Also #3. Most master cylinders come with the switch, so why pay twice for a switch? :wtf: (You are going to replace the master cylinder, aren't you? Huh?)

Also #4. It's possible for the pressure type switch to fail catastrophically and you lose your brakes just when you need them...:eek: like, when that beer truck is making a left turn in front of you....:yikes:

Also #5. I think that all of the automobile and motorcycle manufacturers abandoned the pressure type switch for the reasons above. What do you know that they don't? :shrug:

Last edited:
#5 is well put. although, i dont like anti-lock brakes. i like to know the limits of my vehicles.
ide go mechanical though.

I like anti-lock, at least with 4 wheels. Go mechanical. The less spots you have for your hydraulic side to fail, the better. The less volume the better, the less you have to crack your system all the way open, the better.
$0.02.

If you are upgrading your brakes anyway, go for a Brembo MC, piston size will depend on type of caliper(s) and single or twin discs. Any newer Brembo MC has an integrated, tiny switch, and the brake light will be on even before you start building up brake pressure. And you will have a smaller, lighter, less leak prone MC. You should be able to find a cheap used one on Ebay or at a breaker.

If you are upgrading your brakes anyway, go for a Brembo MC, piston size will depend on type of caliper(s) and single or twin discs. Any newer Brembo MC has an integrated, tiny switch, and the brake light will be on even before you start building up brake pressure. And you will have a smaller, lighter, less leak prone MC. You should be able to find a cheap used one on Ebay or at a breaker.

I agree with everything except the part about cheap. Like, cheap used brakes? Are you kidding? :eek:

I have 5 bikes and on all but one of them, the first thing I did when I rolled them into the garage was to rip off the Master cylinder and the brake lines and throw them into the trash can and replace with new. The caliper can be refurbished because it is a very simple device and you can see all of the internal workings. Not so the master cylinder and hoses. When I squeeze the brake lever the bike comes to a rapid and controlled stop. I like that...:thumbsup: I don't have to worry about the master cylinder springing a leak or locking up and the brake lines aren't going to burst. :bike:

Back