Whats the best method of refurbishing the surface of an engine?

Glass bead media is available in various grits. The courser the grit, the more dimpled the surface. Fine grit beads do not cause a problem with gasket and seal leakage. I always blast with a high pressure pressure cleaner several time after using beads.
Soda is very fine and single use only, after one or two uses it breaksvdownnto such fine particles it doesn't work that well, and being so fine creates a dust cloud inside the cabinet so you can't see what you are blasting. Being fine it also gets into very tight spaces and is difficult to find and remove. It also turns to mud when wetted.
Never used walnut shells, just not available here. It's supposed to give a good finish but being a softish material I'd imagine it would be similar to soda, single use only.

Glass bead media is available in various grits. The courser the grit, the more dimpled the surface. Fine grit beads do not cause a problem with gasket and seal leakage. I always blast with a high pressure pressure cleaner several time after using beads.
Soda is very fine and single use only, after one or two uses it breaksvdownnto such fine particles it doesn't work that well, and being so fine creates a dust cloud inside the cabinet so you can't see what you are blasting. Being fine it also gets into very tight spaces and is difficult to find and remove. It also turns to mud when wetted.
Never used walnut shells, just not available here. It's supposed to give a good finish but being a softish material I'd imagine it would be similar to soda, single use only.
I use 170-325 grit, then pressure clean and last several trips in the ultrasonic cleaner to loosen up any build up, then a good air cleaning

I don't really have access to blasting it and the engine is already back in the bike those pictures were fairly old they're just what I could find without going out and taking any

Back