Whats your weather right now?

IMG_7031.jpeg

"Woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered..."

Actually, was thunder before I went to bed, all friggin night... and currently still thunder and lightning.
Forecast is for more of the same. Ground is already saturated... small river running at the bottom of the yard... fuckin' 'ell

We got just 2" last night (within about 1 hour), tiny hail (graupel) and naturally lots of lightning and thunder. I saw the precipitation over East Texas so yes, I bet College Station got plenty more. Hopefully not flooding amounts of rainfall.
More gentle rain in the forecast but I'll take it. Better than 100F. (it is already May)

"Woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered..."

Actually, was thunder before I went to bed, all friggin night... and currently still thunder and lightning.
Forecast is for more of the same. Ground is already saturated... small river running at the bottom of the yard... fuckin' 'ell

Weirdly, I like thunder and lightning. It can be spectacular, also very destructive, which is not so good.

Weirdly, I like thunder and lightning. It can be spectacular, also very destructive, which is not so good.
I enjoy a thunderstorm, preferably indoors watching. Dramatic weather, dramatic light effects, beautiful rainbows.

Although they sometimes cause damage, thunderstorms are very beneficial by 'fixing' atmospheric nitrogen - the heavy rain is dilute nitric acid which gives the ground a good dose of nitrogenous fertiliser.

But at the moment, our weather is fairly calm - mild, dry, light winds.

@ zone 40N our electrical lines, near by, 100 - 1000 meters or even (once) 20 meters, take lightening hits several times a year. The electrical surge is nasty. We usually switch most things off at the breakers if lightening is forecast, and unplug the 'spensive stuff, and disconnect antennas... The 20 meter shot exploded a transformer next to the workshop. Glad to see that one go...it was arcing anyway, and the fellas don't do much about "noisy" transformers until they suicide. We also isolate to internal battery and inverters, as needed, if the outage lasts too long, and the genny ain't hard to start, if necessary. What worries me is the big trees of the neighbors and wind. Nothing like a lawsuit to ruin a good relationship! So far, only one has punched the roof. I took care of it my self and my expense...but I also wrote a "friendly" notarized letter advising a more prudent trimming of his trees. No reply. Nice fella, eh?

Unfortunately, we've always been in tornado alley. Seen more tornados in the 30 yrs I've lived here than all other places combined.

About 20 yrs ago we had one take out a tree in our back yard. Our tree was clobbered, closest neighbor to the northeast lost her roof (found chunks of our tree in her roof), various houses hit along that NE path and a restaurant about a qtr of a mile NE was destroyed. Funny, absolutely no damage SW of us. It took out the tree 40 feet from our house and didn't even so much as ruffle the shingles. It literally touched down/started in the back yard. Was pretty wild.

1715014765193.png

n

At Topeka, long time ago, the owners, the Shawnee I suppose, turned the zone over to the white new fellas with one caveat. They put a curse on the place, promising a tornado would sweep through if ever the burial hill and Indian graves were disturbed. But that there would be no tornado so long as the graves and their hill were left untouched. In the 1960 that curse and promise was challenged - the city built a water tank, probably cop radio antenna relays too, I am unsure...any way the Gods were angry. Shonuf... Tornado came on target, right through down-town and the college. Major fubar. Me? I took the lesson, do not challenge heaven. Is sucker bet.

Getting Jim's residuals around these parts.

A tornado in April left its footprint about three miles away. Right after the golf ball hail I saw a brownish elongated mass of a cloud sweep sideways across the sky above, defined against the gray background skies.

Beautiful day yesterday, had to pinch myself to remember I DO live here. Spent the afternoon into the early evening working the garden. Sweet pertaters and maters set. Thought to me self "could use a good soaking rain."
Looks like we'll get about an inch today.

Spacey Weather en route say our Commie Asiatic brother boffins. We may have very pretty display.

VHF maybe some DX !

full story from evil commies>
National Center for Space Weather warns of strong solar flares in next few days
By Cui Fandi
Published: May 06, 2024 10:58 PM
China's National Center for Space Weather on Sunday issued a solar flare warning as a strong solar flare (X1.3-class) erupted from the sun. Other strong solar flares may erupt in the next three days, the center said.
The X1.6 class solar flare erupted at 2:01 pm Sunday Beijing time and had an impact on the ionosphere over China. It is expected that in the next three days, there is still a possibility of M-class or X-class solar flares, said the center in its warning.
Solar flares are large explosions from the surface of the Sun that emit intense bursts of electromagnetic radiation, which can last mere minutes. They are rated based on their strength, with A-class as the smallest, followed by B, C, M and X as the most potent, according to the Xinhua News Agency. They are one of the most intense sun phenomena, with a cycle of approximately 11 years. Their main observational characteristics are that a localized region of the solar atmosphere suddenly becomes brighter, often accompanied by enhancements in various energy bands of electromagnetic radiation and particle emissions, with a rapid increase in brightness and a slower decrease.
Although the lifespan of a solar flare is only a few minutes to dozens of minutes, the energy released is equivalent to the total energy of tens of thousands or even millions of strong volcanic eruptions, or equivalent to the explosion of billions of hydrogen bombs.
The 25th solar cycle peak of solar activity between January and October is predicted to be a period of "solar maximum," meaning the sun will reach its peak activity level for the current cycle in 2024.
Earlier on Friday, the National Center for Space Weather also issued a solar flare yellow warning, as the sun erupted with a strong solar flare (X1.6-class) at 10:22 am Friday Beijing time. This event occurred during daytime and had an impact on the ionosphere over China, the center said.
Solar flares, as the most typical solar eruption activity, can eject billions of tons of solar material from the surface of the sun at speeds of several hundred kilometers per second. They carry the sun's powerful magnetic energy, and when they hit the Earth, they can cause changes in the direction and strength of the Earth's magnetic field, known as geomagnetic storms, said Cheng Xin, vice dean of the School of Astronomy and Space Science at Nanjing University, as quoted by The Paper.
Cheng noted that geomagnetic storms can cause fluctuations in voltage and current in long-distance power transmission systems, leading to power outages or unstable power supply, changes in satellite attitude, and disruptions in GPS signals, resulting in navigation failure.
In the face of the impact of geomagnetic storms, Cheng said that accurate prediction of solar activity is crucial as it can give people some warning time, and operators can take measures to protect infrastructure from the severe effects of solar storms, such as strategically shutting down power grids, readjusting aircraft routes or satellite orbits.
He also noted that not all effects of geomagnetic storms are negative, as they can also lead to phenomena such as auroras. "If the geomagnetic storm is particularly strong, auroras may even be visible in more southern regions," Cheng said.
A few months earlier in December 2023, due to geomagnetic storms, auroras appeared in many high-latitude areas of China, including Northeast China's Heilongjiang and North China's Inner Mongolia. During those days, to observers' surprise, auroras were even observed in Beijing, a lower latitude area. According to the China National Geographic Channel, it was the second recorded aurora sighting in Beijing history.
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202405/1311775.shtml
post photo preview

@nj1639 here in Chattanooga near Signal we had an electrical blip sometime between 10 and 4. These infrequent blips will shut down my computer and mess up the set time on my microwave, how I know. After a thunderstorm last night coming through it was clear by 7 am when I called it a night and slept to 4 pm. Whatever the cause it screws my microwave clock so that time is never on synchronized on cue. The author of 2001 A Space Odyssey did a remarkable amount of work published on Microwaves back in 1938. The Carrington event is a notable example of solar activity. See below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrington_Event

Back