Whatta y aknow about the TX/XS 500?

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Quick summary:
I have been teaching a friend to ride. She's been getting her miles in on a CB175 and loves it. We've been keeping our eyes peeled for a good "first bike". She really likes the vintage stuff because that's what we all ride.

Another friend picked up this TX500 to flip. I can get it for somewhere in the $500-600 range. He said it runs good but needs to be jetted. Someone put pods and the 2-1 on it and he said it runs out of steam on the top end. Does fine around town and lower speeds, but "has no ass" up top, as he says.

Thoughts? Opinions? Are the 4 valve heads hard to do an adjustment on? Etc.

CHAIN (DK219H-82L)
14410-235-003 (replaces 14410-216-003)

JOINT, CAM CHAIN
14411-216-000

http://hondapeninsula.com/fiche_sec...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1965&fveh=2876

chain just happens to come from a CB160 (cam chain)

Now the balance chain is a Kawasaki part
Kawasaki 92057-1415 (CHAIN,CAM,BF05-104L)or at last check Tsubaki still makes the BF05 in bulk , you just have to find someone that carries it .
Seems a shame to cut 62 links out of 104 and use the rest for a bracelet ...

The later tensioner for the balancer has a thicker slipper for the starter chain and is a better adjuster for the balance chain . Take a good look while the flywheel is off . I have a fair copy of the parts fiche if needed .

If you find a better way of installing the flywheel/starter clutch/chain gears without dropping the key into the ... than I have please share . :D

If you have ever worked on cb750 f (twin cam) carbs before these will push you over the edge ;-)

~kop

that is a TX500 (rounded tank) rather than the later slab sided tank on the later XS500's hard to find parts for these so make sure what it needs before it gets expensive and frustrating

To give you an idea what a great bike this is ..... I was given two over the years .... for free. I stripped them of anything I thought I could use and junked the rest. That's all they're good for in my opinion.

i think if you could find a low mile one that's been looked after itd be a good buy. I have a friend who has one. Has no problem making some good distance on his dads 883 sportster. revvy little bike. but its a low mile bike, well looked after.

but, a good XS360/400 is a far better bike,

Now wait a minute. These were fine, smooth running bikes. I believe they may have had the 1st 4 valve heads. Power was decent. I spent some time on one, and there is no damn way any XS360 or 400 is a better bike, and I've ridden plenty of those. It's a nice bike if you can handle the ownership hassles that come with ANY older bike.

production run and parts availability say other wise. For a hassle free, no worry about parts and better bs34 carbs, xs400 wins. TX500s also had some head cracking issues, and one of the tensioner adjustments is a pain to get to apparently.

if it does run good and jus needs jetting, id buy it for 5-600. if the motor was sound.

parts are hard to get but that means the parts you got are worth sumpin. ive parted out bikes like that and made good money.

who knows it may run fine for a long time.

First let me state clearly, I am a novice tinkerer may not have everything correct here. I had one of these for several years and it was a really fun bike, my first Yamaha twin, loved it, until the camchain slipped on the crankshaft gear which powered the camshaft. The gear on the crankshaft had worn out. I don't remember how many miles were on the bike but it was not a lot. I was told this was common and many engines did not survive because of this. I shut it down immediately, no known damage. However the gear on the crankshaft was welded on and not a simple repair. Those in the know told me it could be repaired but likely the same thing would happen. I have very fond memories of that bike and have thought many times of replacing it but all the research I have done has convinced me otherwise.
Yamimoto

It's obvious some of you enjoy owning butt-ugly money pits, lol. Really, pass on this thing. The two I got for free were a good source of hardware and generic spare parts (turn signals, wheels, wiring harness, metric nuts & bolts) but that's it.

I think y'all are over looking the intention of getting this bike. Its gonna be a first bike, -no power, perfect. Let her beat it up learning, and move on.
Ive never ridden one, but it sounds like a good buy for the girl.

I would not own one as a daily/regular bike. I bought one as a challenge and a project. Plus I just fell in love with the colour.
20130520_123139.jpg
Cons
Oil filters are available but expensive, or you can buy a replacement mount via xs500 forum and then run a generic $10 filter.
Prone to head cracks and oil leaks due to two piece head that separates cams and valves. These problems seem to appear on bikes that have had a hard life.
TX specific parts can be hard to find. I saw that as part of the challenge.

Pros
Don't see many around.
Share a lot of parts with xs650.
Unloved model so you can get them cheap.
Odball factor as they are arguably the first mass produced twin cam 8 valve motorcycle.

Those tires look vintage also, replacment would add $300 to your bargain, add a brake overhaul and several other "typical old bike repairs" and it's not looking like a great deal for a bike that has some "hand grenade" possibilities. A bike that has mechanical issues can really turn off a novice.
Since it's being (been) ridden with lean jets, a holed piston looms.....

Lousy bike for a girl to own, unless the mechanic/boyfriend is always with her. Get her a SR250 Yamaha or something. This bike should be in the hands of a tinkerer who can appreciate the cool vintage aspect. As far as being a "hand grenade", it's 40 years and running. All it needs is respect and proper maintenance.

Back