WHEEL BEARING NIGHTMARE can anyone HELP?

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
This is the story of a PO trying to kill someone - me!

I have been trying to work out why the front end on my chopper was tending to flop to the left. Well, yesterday found the nut on front wheel main shalft bolt was loose. I tightened and got to 58lbs of torque, new split pin and set off on a ride.
Five miles out I became away of wobble at the front end. I slowed and had a big truck trying to overtake through my exhaust pipes. Then the wheel started wobbling and me saying Woooowah! I managed to stop. Got the bike home in the back of my trusty VW and persuaded the front wheel to come off. The front right bearing had fallen apart, the left side bearing was only half seated and half out.
I stripped and cleaned everything and examined to find something which sent shivers up my spine - this is my first meeting with wheel bearings, but even I worked out that two properly fitted bearings will have a spacer between them so that when the torque goes on the inner bearing race (the inner ring of the bearing) is held fast against the spacer.
Hmmm! the spacer on my bike was a goof half an inch too short. It was doing nothing, so when I tightened my main nut it squashed the hell out of onle nearing and all but pushed the other out.

Help

1. is there a way to measure the correct length of the spacer I need?

2. are there any other spacers, washers, shims that go between spacer and bearing?

Anlaf

blimey ! lucky you checked that out in time.:yikes:

I had the opposite with my rear wheel recently. I was sent the wrong oil/dust seal with my bearings and the wheel jammed up solid.
It was only about 2mm greater width but it was enough to jam the bearings.

your front end doesn't look very standard :wink2:

Front wheel is a mystery, Peanut, 21 inch single leading shoe, 6202 rsw bearings. I have got to know every detail now I have taken it a part, cleaning it all and prepared it tfor the new bearings and reassembly - and when I do it, it will be done properly and be safe.

Anlaf

Thanks, I am Carbon, I will get an accurate measurement and make-up a spacer if I can't get hold of one tomorruw.

Bt the way I went online and found the best deal on bearings, etc, and the place turns out to be in my own town, Small world. Pick up bearings tomorrow and put it back together.

Anlaf

The bearing bores in the hub usually have a lip at the bottom so the bearing only goes in so far then bottoms out. Measure lip to lip and that will give you the spacer length needed.

Bt the way I went online and found the best deal on bearings, etc, and the place turns out to be in my own town, Small world. Pick up bearings tomorrow and put it back together.

Anlaf

its worth replacing the oil and dust seals at the same time. Your po may have left those out judging by the mess he's made of things.

If you get time some pics would be very useful.

I got one of these allballs kits off UK ebay the part number is 25-1334
http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1334.html

Heres a kit from M&P cheap in the UK for £12 incl dust and oil seal
http://www.mandp.co.uk/p/550933/25-1334-front-wheel-bearing-kit

Last edited:
Peanut, there are no seals or covers at all. The left hand side, of course, is covered by the drum brake assembly, but the right-hand side (coming out from where the bearing seats) the bore flairs slightly and is exposed to the elements.

I am calling in at the bearings outlet tomorrow, with the wheel in the VW so I can match up bearings and seals (its not a standard XS650 wheel, Peanut).

Anlaf

Get 2RS bearings (rubber seal on each side). Then an additional separate seal won't be as important. Nice to have yes, but not absolutely needed.

Back