Where are you guys hiding your coils?

MiniDanzig

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
trying to figure out a decent solution to keeping my coil off the crossbar under the tank. Been looking thru a ton of photos but can't see very well in any where you guys are stuffing these. Any pics or advice would be great. thanks!

i actually just made a post in my build thread to address this.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=157701&postcount=59

I ended up mounting them towards the back of the bike, underneath my electical box. You can really mount them anywhere with the main restriction being that you want to make sure it gets sufficient air flow for cooling. mounting the coils securely with metal also helps dissipate heat.

jPkzf.jpg

I think someone has a bike where they mounted a dual output on the horn bracket. I still have mine tucked under the tank. The problem with hiding electronics like coils and Regulator/Rectifiers is they need airflow because they get hot.

~ Derek

Last edited:
thanks for all the help guys. i may end up just going the crossbar route. i saw someone on here with photos of their setup and they had a clamp on style post to mount the coil, but i can't find them anywhere. does anyone know where to get them?

thanks for all the help guys. i may end up just going the crossbar route. i saw someone on here with photos of their setup and they had a clamp on style post to mount the coil, but i can't find them anywhere. does anyone know where to get them?

These?

clamps.JPG

I used those, Pamco Pete has them on his 71-79 installation guide. I think I just picked mine up at the local Lowes.

~ Derek

oh nice! the ones i saw weren't as beefy. more slim but these will definitely get the job done. looks like i need to rip over to lowes and see what they got. thanks for the heads up!

Back