Where can I get one of these?

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I need a piece of hardware like this. I sheared one off on my bIke stand. It’s threaded 8mm x 1.25 on the shank but 5/16” would be ok. The cross drilled hole doesn’t need to be threaded and the body need not be hexagonal - round is ok. Any ideas where I might get a piece like this? Thx.

50DD4AFC-59B0-4155-9D3F-B432C9346E5B.jpeg
DFB052A5-7B67-4FD0-BFEE-4199E703D36B.jpeg

Well if I needed one I would find a chunk of barstock either round or hex that was the right size and chuck it in the lathe and turn it down to the diameter for that thread and run a die over it. I soupose someone with more skills than me would be just cutting the threads while it was chucked in the lathe.

If you don't have a lathe you need to make friends with someone who does!

Well if I needed one I would find a chunk of barstock either round or hex that was the right size and chuck it in the lathe and turn it down to the diameter for that thread and run a die over it. I soupose someone with more skills than me would be just cutting the threads while it was chucked in the lathe.

If you don't have a lathe you need to make friends with someone who does!
Unfortunately I don’t have a lathe. I guess I’ll have to search locally for someone to make this for me.

Here’s where it goes. It’s the one on the left that failed. As mentioned, my fault. I hung the bike on the stand without properly torquing (to 145 ftlbs) the 16mm dia main bolt. Rotational force sheared the fastener.

1676906816802.jpeg
BF35F6AE-13B5-49F1-BAD4-8B995994CFFD.jpeg

Get a bolt and a nut, run the nut up to the head, weld it there, cross drill, done.
I'm a master at additive part manufacturing with a mig....................
you can build up the nut/head for added strength grind to shape drill the cross hole.
Also check for machine bushings at the hardware to make a larger section for the cross drilled hole.

Last edited:
Thx. Didn’t think about stacking a nut and welding it. If I put a chamfer on the edges to be welded I should get good penetration even with my limited welding skills. Would be nice to spin it on a lathe to clean it up after welding. Another reason why I should have a small lathe!

Do an image search on Google for Eye bolts, Swivel Bolts and Swing bolts. You may see something suitable I hope...:hump:

Do an image search on Google for Eye bolts, Swivel Bolts and Swing bolts. You may see something suitable I hope...:hump:
Thx. Often times searching for something is difficult if you don’t use the correct terminology. I’m going to see if I can buy something on line in case my home made, @gggGary piece doesn't work out as planned.

Made this. Not the same as the original but will be stronger. The threaded section that snapped had a very small diameter and it’s being replaced by my home made fitting with an M8 - 1.25, 10.9 shcs (Not the bolt in the pic). Not the prettiest piece but should work.

0DAA2253-A327-49DF-B022-753AB0C9B3FC.jpeg
8FFF5F69-7A2F-4A86-A3A8-CF48054745B9.jpeg

Back