Where did this hose come from???

beta_kevin

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
First time poster. Still getting comfortable with my newly purchased 1980 XS650 Special II and took it out for it's first decent run...about 80 miles. Bike ran fairly well...it died a few times, but nothing crazy.

My reason for this thread is...after running and parking it for about 24 hours, this hose popped out and looks to have leaked some gas I believe from the smell...though it looks kind of oily as well. I can't seem to figure out where the hose was connected.

Can anyone identify what this hose is or where it was originally connected?

I figure with a bit more digging I'll figure it out...but I thought this might be a good excuse to break my silence on this form.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• WP_20160419_006.jpg
    WP_20160419_006.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 160
  • WP_20160419_011.jpg
    WP_20160419_011.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 172
A drain hose for a modified crankcase breather?
Between the cylinders on the rear/back/carb side of the motor is a box with a hose (1/2 -9/16 size) coming out and following the back bone.
OEM it would bend down the backbone and run to a "T" which had hoses to each airbox.
Some cut the hose and install a brake booster check valve. The drain tube is a smaller size like your picture.

Welcome to the site.

Could it be an old battery exhaust vent tube? On my XS it was in similar diameter, as the hose on your picture.

Back