Where Do Old Motorcycles Go?

pyrocentric

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Watching craigslist, I see old cars all the time. Model T's, A's, prewar and postwar coupe, muscle cars, you name it. Really old stuff in varying conditions of repair. But when I look for bikes, it seems like nothing before 1968 even existed. I know my '75 is ancient in motorcycling terms, but it's only 35 years. Where do all the really old motorcycles go? Were they all just thrown away? Not that many produced relatively speaking? Or have the Jay Lenos of the world snatched them all up already?

yup they are in collectors hands for the most part they circulate in a rarer atmosphere than craigslist. Though you still see old Harly's and the occasional Indian on craigs they are usually the ones that have been bastardized beyond belief. Look here http://www.walnecks.com/

Old motorcycles go thru the circle of life, they are new, then they are old, then they get chopped, or bobbed, or become street trackers. Then the collectors realize the only collectable motorcycles available are those that have been violated, so they grab them up and restore them back to original. The circle of life has been completed. Try to find a Triumph or BSA that survived the 60s or 70s without being hacked, it's near impossible. The collectors have all of the old 650 Triumphs you used to see at swap meets with 8 inch over front ends and king and queen seats, they are busy restoring them as we speak.

Last edited:
yeah! then we swoop inafter a divorce, or the pwner died, and the family has no idea what it is because it isnt a HD.

Old motorcycles migrate to the warm states. Just like old people. I saw a HUGE cycle grave/junk yard in northern New Mexico Used to be a few here in Tucson AZ. Seen quite a few old XS's and Triumphs on the roads around here. Never enough M/C swap meets though.

Back