Where do they go??

franklinshaw

What just happened??
Reaction score
I can't figure out where the hell the hoses go to that plug in to these bad boys coming out of the bottom of the float bowls....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 203
They are needed because they are the overflow drains. If your carbs should ever start leaking this will flow the gas out onto the ground.

Safety issue.

Imagine a hot engine, you pulling over to park and the carbs start leaking.

Instant fire, no more bike. Fire extinguisher is at home.

Your call.

Another hose often left off is the battery drain.

Then, when the battery pucks, acid spills all over your nice paint job.

Again, your call.

I can honestly say i have never had a bike come close to catching on fire, even if gas has leaked onto a hot motor, it just sizzled and evaporated, beside if the carbs are set up right with quality parts, they shouldnt be leaking from anywhere anyways. Obviously if your worried about it put them on and route them to the ground as i said before. i have never liked the way the looked which is why i have always left them off. To each his own, go ride and have fun.

They are needed because they are the overflow drains. If your carbs should ever start leaking this will flow the gas out onto the ground.

Safety issue.

Imagine a hot engine, you pulling over to park and the carbs start leaking.

Instant fire, no more bike. Fire extinguisher is at home.

Your call.

My bike went through a period of doing this as soon as I shut it off due to bad float bowl height and a faulty petcock.....not saying its not possible because it definitely is, but luckily my bike never lit on fire....and the gas ALWAYS came out onto the engine :yikes: (okay it only lit on fire once, but that was because some dumba$$ with a nearby welder shot sparks onto the fuel line....thats how I discovered the leaky petcock lol)

I believe those are the float bowl drain fittings. Nothing will ever flow out of them unless you loosen the drain screw. Even if your float needle is stuck nothing comes out of there. If you do need to drain your float bowls just put on a piece of hose temporarily.

Got it! Hopefully my bike won't catch on fire.. But if they ever do start leaking then ill throw a hose on there. Thanks guys

You missed the point I think. If the carbs start to leak it's to late. The hoses should always be on there in case a leak occurs.

Mine? There is a picture in my profile that shows the lines pretty clearly. It's the pic of the bike on the jack lift. Hope that helps

I watched a friends bike catch on fire from carbs leaking onto the engine. It caught on fire and burnt out to a black mess as we had nothing to stop it. The only thing we took with us was the tip of the plastic front guard which he stuck on the wall. It was an xt500 or something.

Back