Where to get keys made?

Gr8day

1stbike-83'xs650
Reaction score
I am having problems finding a local place that will make me a new key for my bike. I only have one and have already had a scare. I noticed some random Ebay ads, are these valid? Any info would be appreciated...well I don't need to know how to make my own, but I guess that would be cool.

(1983 xs650)

I picked up a set from a guy on Ebay. I emailed the 4 numbers off the lock cyl and a week later had 2 keys.

Any good locksmith in town should be able to make a copy

Thx guys. I found another great thread, with plenty of approaches. I'll post results.

I was able to buy one at my local Yamaha dealer. They even cut it for me. I think it was $8 or $9.

I just bought 2 blanks a few weeks back from keyblanksales at http://mysecuritypro.com/. The blank for my 1979 is a Yamaha, Polaris, YH44. See attached file for reference. They cost a little under $3 each plus shipping of course.

I had the keys cut at a hardware store. One came out perfect the other not as good but they both work fine.

Attachments

• Yamaha XS650 Key.jpg
    Yamaha XS650 Key.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 165
Nice Pamco...I could file my own with this guys blanks!

OK. I guess I have to spell it out for you...:banghead:

Not many shops that can cut blanks have blanks for motorcycles, so you buy your blank from this guy and take it to a hardware store that can cut it. Even some locksmiths do not carry blanks for motorcycles.

is there any number identifying key code numbers on the ignition itself? Or will I just take it to hopefully the dealer like mentioned and they can figure it out?

Kinda what I meant pamco, didn't plan on sitting with a hand file. Bad choice of words I guess, didn't major in English. Ha. But thanks again. I get it plenty to move forward with really. I think in the end I was also interested on spending g the least amount of money, which has also been addressed. Great input on such a simple task. Cool.

@ Street tracker read the thread called:
"I just bought a complete stock bike with no keys"
Has all the info needed to answer your question + this thread your good.

The number of the key that will open the tank, ignition, etc., is on the end of the lock tumbler. The number on the key is the key number "blank".

Back