Where to source heim joints (rod ends)?

VENMUS

Fabricator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good place online or brick-and-mortar store that carries heim joints? These are also called rod ends, and look like a small eyelet but the 'eye' is a ball bearing that swivels and has a hole in it. They're used for things like carburetor linkages (automotive) and shifter controls on motorcycles. I'm trying to find them in 1/4"-20 or 1/4"-28 on the threaded stud, although it doesn't matter if its 3/16" or maybe 5/16" also. Some of the places I've found either want $15-25 EACH or they show them but they're not available for purchase.

I am building a few things that I need these for, I need like 20-30 of the little buggers. Any help is appreciated. [I'd post a picture of I wasn't on my phone.] Thanks,

Logan

If you need 20-30 mcmaster aint gonna cut it. I think even their cheap ones are $5+ a piece. My local elliots (true value) has the cheap ones...

I was sourcing heims for my linkages and found a few distributors for inexpensive stuff. I'll see if I can find them.

Check smileys racing as well.

I buy mine from the local specialty hardware store. Pretty good quality and only a few bucks a piece.

Hi VENMUS,
Heim joints were originally precision made aircraft components.
As with any other precision part, you don't get what you don't pay for.
Like those bargain basement "Made in China" ball races.
OK for kid's toys but not for much else.
Or for when you just use them as adjusters.
I bought my sidecar's two lower attachment M16 Heim joints for $18 each from
Princess Auto rather than buy the good ones from Bearing Supply for $60.
But the only time mine actually move is when I adjust the bike's lean-out.
Perhaps once a year and then by less than a degree.
For a Heim joint's proper use, as in a gearshift or brake linkage, I'd be happier buying the good ones.

Last edited:
Back