Which engine? - Crank Ignition

ralpharama

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi

I want to fit a Heiden Tuning crank ignition system on a client's engine, because there bearing part of his camshaft is worn and is leaking oil profusely, despite brand new seals. As getting a new cam is a no no and in a chop frame it's an engine out job to even try another second hand cam, I figured blocking for the cam ends with the covers Heiden supply and a crank ignition/alternator is the best bet.

The engine is British with the longer rods.

Heiden says that the HT-1501 set up will work with the 'normal' engine providing it hasn't got 277 cam and crank. I'm guessing this '75 isn't the 277, but would like to be sure having fallen foul of the pistons when I built the engine :)

Many thanks

that looks like the one, but the eng is easey to get out and a cam is easy to change
and cheeper than the 510.00 they are asking I would think that it would be cheeper to put a cam in.

Hi

I want to fit a Heiden Tuning crank ignition system on a client's engine, because there bearing part of his camshaft is worn and is leaking oil profusely, despite brand new seals. As getting a new cam is a no no and in a chop frame it's an engine out job to even try another second hand cam, I figured blocking for the cam ends with the covers Heiden supply and a crank ignition/alternator is the best bet.

The engine is British with the longer rods.

Heiden says that the HT-1501 set up will work with the 'normal' engine providing it hasn't got 277 cam and crank. I'm guessing this '75 isn't the 277, but would like to be sure having fallen foul of the pistons when I built the engine :)

Many thanks
if a 277 the pistons would come to TDC at different settings of the crank rotation, if they come up at the same time normal phasing unless it's been twingled:yikes: look in the sparkplug holes

Yes 277 is a rephase which you would remember, not an engine model. But I agree you need to repair the leaky cam seals not bandaid over them.

How is the cam worn where the seal sits? there is nothing there for it to get any wear, the cam runs on 4 bearings there is no movement there, unless the rocker cover and head aren't matched, there are numbers stamped on the front of both, it's normally either the seal gone/not put in properly, or the gasket/seal as it meets the head/cover, unless the cover has been prized off with a screwdriver and causing a leak.

Not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment but Hoos http://www.hoosracing.com/650750pricelist.html have the same ignition system for $705 probably work out cheaper than Heiden, Heidens postage is so expensive the postage will probably work out similar price.

I have seen this once on a xs650 head and it was caused because the cam was not tight enough in the pocket. At some point that bike was riden with a worn or damaged bearing and it moved in and out and put some wear in the pocket. The only real fix is new head but as anal as I am I did manage to come up with a temporary fix and did stop the oil leak. Then when a new head came in I replaced it and everyone happy.
Either way you have to pull motor to repair,
What I did is put back material in the pocket and reshape it. Again it was a temporary fix and I just did it to see if it would work. I have done a lot of Porting and polishing on heads for Drag Racing and have used this fix to fill back heads for flow so I new it would work. If its a customers bike replace the head or its going to bounce back to you over and over again will still leak.

Back