Which Hardtail

FYI there is a thread dedicated to this already... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2596

But if you want to see what a no loop bird hardtail looks like put together this is my bike as of two weeks ago:

4in of stretch and 2in drop (popular spec)

DSC_0569.jpg

One of the reasons I choose lowbrow was because their design preserves the rear motor mount down tube and horizontal support. This reduces the chance of screwing the mounts up when bolting the motor back in vs a cut version.

FYI there is a thread dedicated to this already... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2596

But if you want to see what a no loop bird hardtail looks like put together this is my bike as of two weeks ago:

4in of stretch and 2in drop (popular spec)

DSC_0569.jpg

One of the reasons I choose lowbrow was because their design preserves the rear motor mount down tube and horizontal support. This reduces the chance of screwing the mounts up when bolting the motor back in vs a cut version.

Leggers, thanks for the link, I was unaware of this... just what I was after.
Real nice build by the way... could you squat done and take another picture so we can see how the bike stands... it would give us a better idea of how the 4 inch strech, 2 drop looks.

I sort of the the short look but I can't deside. :doh:.... NEWBEE !

Cheers

I wil try to post this weekend. I took a a pic with my phone but the forum will not let upload it. I have a few other projects going so the hardtail will not get mounted for a few months.

Thouse Elswich boys must be making alot of money because they don't seem to be interrested in my money... just recieved one mail in return and they never answer my next mail... and I state clearly that I am ready to order.... 4-5days ago.

Hope all is well with them and that they are just busy in the shop.....

:wtf:

david bird hardtails look and fit great...that is if u dont want to wait for elswick to get back to you. lowbrow has the standerd size bird in stock. both straight and looped

here's a pic of the bike i just finished sport'n a loop'd 6"out 4"down bird hardtail
DSCN0437-1.jpg

My David Bird Hard-Tail Showed up today too!
Straight Tubes - ZERO Drop / ZERO Stretch. Nice and short.
Stoked aswell...

Hey there, So have you got that tail on there yet????
Would love to see some pictures of it as a roller with thouse tail specs

cheers

Looking forward to seeing that zero stretch, zero drop as well.

Any suggestions on which hardtail section to use for FONG bros. style frame? One that keeps the center stays....(I know they use TC Bros for last few builds)...
Which stretch and drop would fit best to keep the center stays?

I'd love to do a Bird looped or maybe straight Fong style...

Another Pic of the David Bird Standard tail 4" stretch 2" drop. off the stand:

DSC02858.jpg

DSC02860.jpg

Hey there, So have you got that tail on there yet????
Would love to see some pictures of it as a roller with thouse tail specs

cheers

I do at this point, sittin' pretty and tight.
Getting the engine finished up today, should be in the frame by tonight.
I've been lazy and dodging every chance I get to do the wheels... so, I'll painfully start that as well...
hopefully I'll get an update or two up by later tonight, keep the build thread updated.

IMG_3312.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

Any suggestions on which hardtail section to use for FONG bros. style frame? One that keeps the center stays....(I know they use TC Bros for last few builds)...

I will say this tail-section probably has one of the best fits with no need to modify the backbone/ lower crossbar, just shave a bit and sit it on. It hugs the frame straight and super tight. My buddy Matt had this fucker glued on in about 2 hours..

Well chaps I'll give you some probably not so exciting or not unpredictable news. I did order the ardtail about 4 weeks ago (I say 5). And no package yet. I spoke with Jon personally and he assured me it would be on time in 4-5 weeks. However I have received EVERY OTHER PART FROM EVERY OTHER DISTRIBUTOR ahead of schedule. I'll give Ardtail the benefit of the doubt however considering there are only a few welders there. Still paciently waiting and waiting and waiting hahaha. I'll keep you all posted and I'll make a build thread and YouTube video as well.

how many of theses other parts were hand built?
you guys really need to be patient when ordering hand made parts from a small shop.. I recently waited almost 10 weeks for a set of narrowed triple trees. i didn't sweat it because I knew they would be top notch and well worth it.. If you want it fast go to the wal mart of bike shops..if you want it right go to a small shop where quality matter's to the guy building it.
Ardcore is not a distributor of parts.. they make the parts they sell.

Yes this is true that's why I said benefit of the doubt. Jon seemed like a really nice guy on the phone. I am actually quite pacient and can't wait to see their craftsmanship. Although very excited and can't wait I do understand the reason for the delay. :bike:

I use the standard TC Bros frame or have KansasKustoms make them for me. KK will make a 0 stretch for a few bucks more, but I can tell you with the stock footpegs and zero stretch, my knees and ankles were killing me after a few miles. I am 5'11" and I find the tc bros is a very good/comfortable fit for my size.

So tomorrow is the big day. I am going to my friends welding shop and hack sawing this thing in half and then super gluing it back together. I have not seen one photo of the Ardtail on a bike anywhere on this thread. So, I will post a photo tomorrow night hopefully as soon as its attached and the bubblegum has dried.

Cheers

So tomorrow is the big day. I am going to my friends welding shop and hack sawing this thing in half and then super gluing it back together. I have not seen one photo of the Ardtail on a bike anywhere on this thread. So, I will post a photo tomorrow night hopefully as soon as its attached and the bubblegum has dried.

Cheers

what year of bike ?
i'm waiting for my ardtail in the mail!
cant wait!

Its an 80 special. It's all welded and ready to start but I'm having trouble adding the photo from my iPhone.

I'll get it on here soon from the computer. You're gonna like the way it looks but damn does it feel low when you sit on it. By that I mean it feels awesome!!!

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ardtail for you. I love the lines on the tail, the CS was great although it took a little longer to receive as it was just after it was released. I was a little disappointed with the fit on it and there were gouges down the length of the bends from what looks like grit in the bender. Overall I am happy and would do it again but it would be nice if the tail didn't require spacers or was setup the stock width to begin with.

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ardtail for you. I love the lines on the tail, the CS was great although it took a little longer to receive as it was just after it was released. I was a little disappointed with the fit on it and there were gouges down the length of the bends from what looks like grit in the bender. Overall I am happy and would do it again but it would be nice if the tail didn't require spacers or was setup the stock width to begin with.

siiiick. I am even more excited to get my build going and maybe i'll hold onto my drag bars just incase. The 12" apes may be a bit much

Back