Which manual for an 80 SG (bought 2)

Ebola Monkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My luck being what it is I ended up buying 2 manuals off flea bay yesterday.

Tired of the PDF version, I checked ebay, and there was only 1 listing for the yamaha service manual for my year. With a half hour left I ended up buying it.

It's the XS650 H/SH version, in good shape, payed around $30. Wouldn't you know it within MINUTES of buying it another one pops up. This one is the XS650 E/SE/SF version, just listed, ridiculously low buy it now price, in better shape than the first one.:banghead:

Are there any differences between the 2? I know the parts fiches for the SE/SF/SG all say 78-80.

I'm guessing they're the same, but would like to know for sure.

On a side note... Is there any difference engine wise between 80-82? I'm again, assuming no, but what do I know? My bike has an 82 engine in it. If I don't need to track down the 82 supplemental manual I won't.

Thanks In Advance!

I don't think a full manual was published after '78, just supplements. You're supposed to use the full manual in conjunction with the supplement because the supplement only includes any things that were changed. The H/SH manual you got may only be a supplement so you would want that '78/'79 full version to go along with it as well. Nothing really changed from '81 on so you should be good.

You're going to want them both I suspect but since the XS 650 went to BS 34 Carbs & TCI electronic ignition with the 80 SG you won't have any info. related to those systems until the latter year supplements. The prior years are of course based on BS 38's and mechanical points ignition triggering. The SG version will have most of the info. needed for the SH also.

Most notable change, as I recall with the SH is the starting cut-off system which prevents the
engine being started in any position other than neutral. A fair amount of circuitry activated by the clutch to make the safety relay turn on.....Another one of those "Bells & Whistles" of the Specials era that one may wish to eliminate. Best, Blue

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!

The one for h/sh says 1st edition may 81. Also say's 78-80.

I have a manual for an xs400 that is also dated 1st edition may 81, 7th printing June 1986. It is the main manual plus 6 supplementals combined.

Hopefully the H/SH one is the same. I'll find out for sure when they get here. I'll probably keep the newer of the 2.

Good to know that from 81-on not much changed.

Back