Which Pamco should I buy??

Fro-

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 82xs, Have the parts to do a PM charging system swap on the way. But before I do that swap I want to replace the factory ignition with a Pamco and adjust the valves. I know I will need all the parts to do this but which kit would I be better off with and WHY??
14-0902 which has the lower voltage coil $199.00
14-0912 which has the green coil with much higher voltage $225.00
The engine is stock. Thank You

Well, actually, for a PM setup, I would recommend the Ultimate coil kit Part #14-0915 because it has been tested to produce a spark with a 6 volt lantern battery.

With a PM alternator, you literally start with zero volts at the coil. You are depending on generating enough voltage with a kick to produce a spark. Typically, when you kick a PM bike, you are lucky to get 8 volts on the capacitor, so the ignition has to produce a spark with about 8 volts or less.

The 17-6903 coil produces 75,000 Volts @ 12 volts battery, so it follows that it will produce half of that at 6 volts, which it does.

I would also suggest that you initially start the engine with the PAMCO connected to an external battery that is not connected to the bikes charging system because two things generally happen with a new PM installation:

1. The engine doesn't start.
2. The engine starts and the PM alternator produces 20 + volts and fries all of the electrics, including the PAMCO.

So, start first with the PAMCO not connected to the bikes charging system. This will ensure a start and allow you to check the charging system. I would also recommend that you wear safety goggles because it is possible for the capacitor to explode if the alternator voltage goes too high.

After you have verified that the PM alternator voltage is 14.5 and not higher than 15 Volts, then you can wire the PAMCO into the bikes charging system.

pumps,

Where have you been? Haven't seen any posts from you in a while.

I still got the shirt! Wear it all the time:

kcfd.jpg

But, yes....you should install a 7 1/2 A fuse to power the coil and the PAMCO. However, in the case of a very high voltage suddenly being applied to the PAMCO, the protective diode shorts, and that is what blows the fuse, but by then the damage is already done.

Fro-,

OK. But I was serious about the safety goggles. The capacitor or battery can literally blow up if your setup initially produces a high voltage. Be careful.

Will do Pete. I've been a diesel mechanic for 15yrs and I don't play around when it comes to safety. Hell I will probably have on my full welding gear with safty googles and a sandblast hood over that. LOL

Fro-,

Sorry...I had no way of knowing that. So many people embark on a mod to their bikes that is hazardous, so I just wanted to caution you.

The main thing here is to have your voltmeter connected to the capacitor when you start it and be prepared to shut down if the voltage starts to go above 15 Volts.

No need to be sorry Pete. I Thank You for the caution and all the advice you have given me and in past posts that I have read. You have helped alot of people out and I'm sure you have'nt heard the last of me. lol

Back