Which Pamco to Buy?

Search pamcopete and read his threads. Loads of information has been laid out by him to answer any and all questions.

Personally I bought the Pamco Electronic Ignition Kit (Part #14-0901) feeling I don't need to have 84 kv at my disposal and a chance to not kill my coil if a spark plug wire slips off.

Still haven't installed it. Waiting on my coil then I can give you a accurate rundown on it.

Oak...,

Well, LockDown has a point. Turn the key, push the button, the engine starts and you ride for the rest of the day. Like, what more do you need?

It's like the choice of engine in your car. 4, 6 or 8 cylinder. My truck is a 4 cylinder. My wifes car is a 4 cylinder. She used to have a 6 and I used to have an 8, but the 4's will get us to where we need to go.

I ran the 17-6822 coil from the 14-0901 kit last year for a few weeks. Great coil. Runs cool. Long spark duration. Push the button, the engine starts immediately. Idles smooth. Goes fast.

I now have the 14-6903 coil. 80,000 volts to the plugs. Runs cool. Longer spark duration. Even faster starts, if that is possible. I run the Iridium plugs with that coil. Here is a chart showing the improved gas mileage with the 17-6903 coil compared to the 17-6822 coil, and by interpolation, higher horsepower:

iridium.jpg

I don't actually see these benefits, but I know they are there. The basic difference is that a higher output voltage coil allows you to widen the plug gap a bit to expose more of the mixture to the spark, creating a larger kernel of flame that goes on to burn the rest of the mixture in the cylinder. The spark is also hotter, which also contributes to a larger initial kernel of flame. That spark will burn through fouling on the plug. An engine that is running more efficiently will also produce more horse power.

So. It's more of a philosophical question. Do you feel better knowing that your engine is operating closer to its peek performance? Could you use the extra horsepower every once in a while, like when going up hill or operating in a high altitude area?

If so, then the higher output coil would be your choice.

What's the downside? The 17-6810 coil, the "Green Monster" is absolutely unforgiving if you accidentally leave a plug wire disconnected. The coil will fry instantly, and might take the PAMCO with it, but, you just need a little discipline and that won't happen.

The 17-6822 coil will probably let you get away with leaving the plug wire off once or twice, but I wouldn't press my luck, and it's not just the PAMCO that has this problem. Any dual output coil system, including the factory TCI has this potential problem.

So, the choice is yours.

Pamcopete, exactly the type of reply I was looking for. Especially the explanation of the spark duration, gap, etc. Thanks!

- Adam

I have the basic kit on my '79 and I am very pleased with it. Starts are near instantaneous and the bike runs great.

Back