which swingarm to save and which to butcher

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
So, I own 2 swingarms which I'm not using since my bike is hardtailed.

I need to cut one up for the tabs that used to be the outer side of the shock mounts.

The other I will save and probably just give away with all the other stock stuff I have laying around.

One swingarm is a discbrake one and one is a drum brake one. For my purposes it wouldn't matter which one I cut up. But I'm wondering if it is better to save one or the other. Which one might be more likely to see use as a part in the future on a working bike?

What purpose would anyone even HAVE for a used XS650 swingarm at this point? There are probably thousands of them out there - orphaned from the frames having been hardtailed. So it's not like I want to save one for the $$ - I see them used for like $20, plus as I said I will be giving it away.

And who would need to replace the swingarm on their stock bike? the swingarms, except for the pivot, are built like brick sh_thouses, so I can't see there being any great demand out there for them as replacements. Or? The reason I have 2 is that I'd thought of instead of doing the hardtail, just doing an extended swingarm. So, I suppose someone out there might like to have an extra swingarm for just that purpose. hmmmmm...

Just wondering if you can imagine which would be better to save.

hack the disc brake one or hack the drum brake one?

:shrug:

thx

I see more inquiry here for people wanting a disc brake setup on a special frame so they feel better about running a spoolie on the front, so I'd keep the disc brake one salvageable.

if all you need is the shock mount tab , why not just fab up anewbracket from metal an save both .

I think that old Japanese metal is really strong, plus it is already bent, plus I can cut away some of where it attaches to the main "leg" with it, and use that as a base to weld on to my tubing (more area to weld than a simple tab). Plus I'm broke, can't go buy metal right now, at all. Plus, I kind of want to do this my own way.
I have other options, too, among other metal I already have around, but those shock mount tabs along with a piece of the metal they attach to are def. in my top 5 options.

Repurpose, repurpose, repurpose! <<< that's what I have to do. Plus, as the next person who posted after you pointed out, it's not as if there is a great demand for the stock swingarms. At least this way, it's one more piece of an original bike that will live on.

Here's a pic where I'm at. (That huge bung that faces outward needs to be removed, btw). So I need to decide how I want to attach the bottoms of the legs of the sissy bar to the frame. No torch for bending either, so I need a nice strong option that will let it go straight up from frame, like it currently is.

I notice that very few people "feature" that connection in pics of their chop. The bottom of sissy bar (or fender brace) to frame connection.

Attachments

• sissybar right crop.jpg
    sissybar right crop.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 252
My intent is to get a used swing arm and us it to either modify a boxed arm from XT 600 or similar bike---reason--- I do not care for a tubular one

Back