White Smoke on Startup

Haven't had a chance to retorque the head yet. The valve seals I installed earlier this year came from either Mikes or 650 Central. I honestly cant remember, but I want to say 650 Central. This isn't a classic ignore/don't know how thread. I just don't have a lot of time/money these days, so I am trying to get as many ideas as I can before I start replacing parts. And if I don't know how to do something, I am certainly capable of learning and don't mind doing so.

Yep, gggGary has gone straight to it. You may have put valve seals in 500 mules ago, but all the signs are one of those little things has failed or did not seat properly. By the way, are you getting white smoke from one or both cylinders? If it is the left, then while the head is off ThreeBond the head gasket - any slight warping or small scratches on the joint faces draw in just enough oil to send smoke signals... and do re-torque as the fellers say. Oil is coming in somewhere, and if you have not torqued a few times I suspect oil has found a path between joint face and head gasket.

Valve guide seals are cheap enough to put more in while you are checking out the gasket then re-torque and re-torque. I have gone 40NM for the big dome nuts - that's about 30lbs as paulrxs650 says. There is good old common sense from everyone else, too.

ANLAF

So I managed to get a chance to retorque the head bolts on Saturday. It seems to have stopped the smoking. Hopefully its fixed for a while at least. Thanks for the advice all!

Back