White smoke out the right bank .. oil residue .. ect

Luke4554

"PureBred Fabrications"
Reaction score
77' xs .. just built. from what i know i was told the carbs were rejetted from the PO. It smoked out the right side a bit when i bought it and i didnt think much of it. Got it running again this weekend since then ive noticed a little residue on the right bank pipe. If i rev it up its smokes like a siv (sp?). When its idling the pipe doesnt really smoke at all. Idles smooth .. no popping or back fire since ive adjusted the screw on the carb.. but i did only have to adjust the right side .. left side was fine. Lastly ive just ordered some new carb boots.. because also on the right side there is a slice in mine and you can hear the suction on it when the bikes sitting idling on the stand. My thoughts are the valve seals probably gone on the right side.. but i didnt know if the carb boot could be playing some factor in the smoke..

Anywho what would you do. Its been apart for a year .. is it dangerous to ride it out the rest of the year like this .. or more just an annoyance. How hard is it to to valve seals on this motor? any suggestions?

Thanks folks!
Luke:shrug:

Should be blue smoke, not white. Blue is oil; white would imply burning coolant, if these bikes were water cooled.

The carb, or anything else outside the motor, will not affect the smoke. The smoke, the blu smoke, is from oil getting in the combustion chamber. It burns and exits through your exhaust pipes. This is typically from oil getting past piston rings.

yeah i know its more white than blue .. but the plugs dont look lean .. last time i looked they looked pretty rich actually

You think a good honing and factory replacement ring set would cure it or is an over sized ring set and cylinder bore necessary. This is assuming I don't pull it apart and gasp at something drastic when I get inside.

White could mean just excessive fuel delivery, or the engine not warm enough.

Ride it around for 500 miles, see how it is.

Bet ya $20 it's a head gasket! Try just re-torquing the head, has been known to fix them! When/if you replace the head gasket, it's a good idea to run a bead of sealant around the cam chain tunnel. Also re-torque (up to 30 ft lb) after each ride (after its cooled down) untill they stop moving! :cheers:

Pretty positive its oil burn off. That pipe has oil residue on the tip after I let it run a while. I never had the motor apart so if it is the head gasket it would have had to be the previous owners mistake. I doubt ill go 750 .. Though I'd like to I just don't have the funds

Luke, in your 1st post, you said "just built" was that the bike or the motor?

If the head is not torqued correctly, oil will travel through the head gasket to the combustion chamber from the cam chain tunnel.

Sometimes just re-torquing can fix this!

The bike .. the motor was pulled but not torn down. It ran when i bought it .. it smoked but i didnt think much of it because i was too excited ..

If the bike has been sitting for a long time, like several years, the rings may just need to re-seat. Like Yamaman said, put a few hundred miles on it and see if things improve. You might want to give it a compression test now and then again after you put those miles on, see if those numbers get better.

A basic top end job will run you about $200 if you don't need to bore it. Add another $300 if you do. That $200 would cover a gasket set, rings, front cam chain guide, and a new cam chain. If I'm not doing a re-bore, I get 1st over size rings and file the end gaps so they fit nice and tight in the used bore.

If John was here he would tell you to baking soda it :D does sound like the rings never set or Yamamans idea to torque it down

my bores were out of round. I figure i'll just give an over bore and pistons and rings. Clean the head up and be done with it. i figure around 800 bones for the parts bore work, and maybe just stem seals if the guides are okay.

Back