white wall rear tire

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As context I currently have 19/16 mags on my 79 special but the "look" I'm going for is spoked wheels, white wall tires. I have a set of 1977 19/18 36 spoke spoked wheels which are in need for a new set of spokes and some serious cleaning up, but damned if I can source an 18 inch rear white wall tire. I'm guessing I can go down to a 16" spoked rear? Then I'm assuming a need a 16 drum?

Thoughts? Alternatives?
(I do have a 77 drum brake swingarm as well.)

Thanks!

Hi queenslegs,
if you are going to re-lace your wire wheels you could re-lace the rear hub into a wider 16" rim to suit the whitewall tire you can buy locally?
Didja see the prices on boxcar's link? Didja calculate the Canadian $ equivalent? Just perhaps that link's faux whitewalls would be more affordable?

Thanks Fred, Yes, I was wondering about lacing the hub I have from the 18" wheel to a 16" rim. Wouldn't that though require custom length spokes?

And yes, those prices are killer, never mind the exchange and shipping! The faux white walls don't really do it for me. Think I'd rather do without lol.

Yes, I was wondering about lacing the hub I have from the 18" wheel to a 16" rim. Wouldn't that though require custom length spokes?

Hi queenslegs,
it's bound to, eh? Buchanans are the spoke experts; maybe their site has a chart?
Maybe someone has already done it and will post about what's needed?
[edit]
I just checked MikesXS Canadian site.
They offer 16" aluminum rim #34-1602 and stainless spoke set #19-0058 to do just that.

Last edited:
Sweet! So a spoke hub is a spoke hub is a spoke hub across all years, regardless of rim size? In other words 36 spoke rear 16" wheels use the same hub as 36 spoke rear 18" wheels, correct?
Thanks again Fred, I'd like to go with a Shinko 777 130/90-16 white wall.

Hi queenslegs,
MikesXS catalog sez "suitable for the 36 spoke rear hub on a Special II"
Dunno if that's the same 36 spoke rear hub as on an 18" rear wheel or not.

Theoretically all rear hubs interchange.....
But (I don't have measured proof) the early hubs may have slightly different angled flanges at the spoke holes. The 16" rims need the spokes to angle in towards the center more than they do on an 18" rim.
A whiles back someone had problems with a 18" to 16" re-rim/spoke job, but sorting out whether it was the hub, rim or "a certain vendor's" spoke source dimensional accuracy was never completely answered.
I have had good results with the stainless steel spokes lately, perhaps quality control has improved?? I have also observed some bend in the spokes even on OE laced rear wheels. I did have issues with spoke hole angles on a "fits XS650 and others" 2.50 x 18 rear rim I recently laced.....

The spoke neck length from head to bend and hub thickness are a tight match. Used hubs have grooves from the spokes pressing, wearing, working into the flange surface.

from the fiches;

This Yamaha 256-25311-00-00 HUB, REAR is used on these models and components:

1970 XS1 REAR WHEEL
1971 XS1B REAR WHEEL
1972 XS2 REAR WHEEL
1973 TX650 REAR WHEEL
1974 TX650A REAR WHEEL TX650A - XS650B - C
1975 XS650B REAR WHEEL TX650A - XS650B - C
1977 XS650D REAR WHEEL XS650D E E006501- F
1979 XS650_2F REAR WHEEL
1980 XS650G REAR WHEEL
1981 XS650H REAR WHEEL

No part number revisions, so any 16 or 18 rim, with any hub should work. Perfectly straight spokes may not be in the cards. (cards in the spokes?)

Back