Why A Bill Of Sale Is Worthless

What I don't understand is how could he get the bike back if he threw away the title 10 years ago. Wouldn't you need to prove you had the original title?

Okay guys, here's how the NC DMV screwed up and how I was unable to verify the vehicle wasn't stolen. I was a salvage dealer (recycling center) at the time. NC law allows us to buy vehicles over 10 years old without a title provided we get a copy of the seller's driver's license and keep record that we turn in to the DMV. I followed the letter of the law and bought the vehicle for junk. Then it was parked and scheduled to be crushed.

Later in the day when I got free from the office I took a second look at the truck and found keys on the floorboard. Tried them and it cranked. Cummings diesel, Allison automatic, working dump bed and our struggling little business was in need of a dump truck. I drove it off the crush line and parked it next to the shop and told the yard foreman not to let anyone touch it.

A few weeks later I called DMV to start the title bonding process. They gave me the option of a temporary tag to drive the truck across town to their inspection shop but I said the brakes were unsafe so instead they came to me. First time out all they did was run the VIN to see if the truck had been reported stolen.

A few weeks more passed and the DMV agent called to tell me I would be getting a title in the mail soon but because this truck also required FMVS safety inspections required for trucks there would be more inspections before I could drive it on the road. Title came in a few days so I asked the guys in the shop to start work on the truck. We probably put $10,000.oo worth of parts on the truck (Alcoa wheels, new tires, brakes, glass, chrome stacks, etc.) but because it was all stuff we took off of other trucks and buses we were crushing it seemed like the thing to do.

Now here's where the DMV screwed up. Before I was given a title, the DMV was supposed to contact the owner of the truck to let him know that I was trying to title his truck but someone at the DMV slipped up and sent me a "free and clear" title before they sent him the letter. I had the truck on the road for a month or two before the owner ever got the letter and I took my sweet time about getting the truck on the road mostly because the rest of the business was keeping me busy about 16 hours a day.

Now, about the low life who sold me the stolen truck. I did everything I was supposed to do and the local cops used my copy of his drivers license to track him down and send him to prison. As part of his sentence, the judge order him to pay me back. About a year later he got out of prison but a few weeks later was locked up again for grand theft auto. Apparently, the dude plans on being a lifer.

So guys, here's the deal, even if it's not reported stolen doesn't mean it isn't stolen. People only report things stolen after they find out they've been ripped off. And people who have a lot of stuff stashed away in a lot of places often go a long time between inventories. The thieves know this and are hoping you don't.

Like grizld1 said, "a bike without a title is a parts bike..." Keep that in mind and odds are good you won't get burned. If the title was easy the seller would have a title.

I went through a similar ordeal with my XS650. Bought an engine and frame out of a junk yard here in Tucson. Had the numbers checked by the local PD and they came back clean. Year later, the bike finished, I go to get the bike inspected for title at the DMV. I'm informed at that time the engine was stolen in 1988, and they confiscate the whole bike and impound it pending investigation. Couple of months later, my stomach in knots, I finally get the bike back. PD couldn't locate the owner that reported the loss way back then. I got lucky because most of my investment was in the engine. It didn't show up on PD records because they purge old records, but the national stolen list isn't purged ever and that's where the engine showed up.

On another note, I'm going to list my stolen XR650R Honda on this stolenbike.net and see if I can get lucky. Don't have much hope as I'm sure it went to Mexico for some coyote or baja rental outfit. It's been seven years with no resolution.

Just to add a little something to this, there are still states that do not title bikes as old as the 650. GA in particular does not title vehicles older than 85. That is actually how I was able to register a bike where the pervious owner did not get the title notorized making it a useless piece of paper.

Point of this little inject is regardless of what anyone tells you, you are spending your money on a vehicle for you so do your own research and more importantly make sure you understand what you find.

I once bought a Triumph Spitfire from a used car dealer as a backlot special. It had a clear and signed Oregon title. The engine was blown which I rebuilt. I put the car in my name and received plates and drove it for four months. One day while I was teaching my class I was asked to come to the office. There I met with two plain clothes officers from the stolen vehicle division. I was informed the car had been stolen in Portland, Oregon. Someone answered an add, test drove the car, and ask for the pink slip at gun point.
The dealer paid the original owner but my car sat in impound for two months.

Just to add a little something to this, there are still states that do not title bikes as old as the 650. GA in particular does not title vehicles older than 85. That is actually how I was able to register a bike where the pervious owner did not get the title notorized making it a useless piece of paper.

Point of this little inject is regardless of what anyone tells you, you are spending your money on a vehicle for you so do your own research and more importantly make sure you understand what you find.

What does Georgia do about older vehicles if they don't title them? Just curious.

DLD1

What I don't understand is how could he get the bike back if he threw away the title 10 years ago. Wouldn't you need to prove you had the original title?

No, you can always file a lost title application if the original title is in your name. The proof is in the files at the DMV.

In your instance, the guy you bought the bike from didn't legally own the bike because he never followed through on the paperwork and had the guy who sold him the bike filed for a lost title he could have gotten the bike back. Luckily for you the 1st owner wasn't a greedy ass.

Back