Why hardtails?

DLD1

Mechanical Stuff Nut
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you. Why hardtails? I'm not a "everything needs to be original" type guy. I appreciate builds of pretty much all types. I like modifications, custom bikes, etc. I just don't quite understand the attraction to removing suspension and replacing it with a hardtail. Is it purely about looks? Just curious.

DLD1

Well, its a classic design--the old guys that bobbed out a bike (cut stuff off to reduce weight & gain speed) had hard tails & made some pretty kill cycles for the generations to come to drool over.

Well, its a classic design--the old guys that bobbed out a bike (cut stuff off to reduce weight & gain speed) had hard tails & made some pretty kill cycles for the generations to come to drool over.

I guess that's it. Retro. Everything old becomes new again eventually, right?

DLD1

Suspension systems are expensive, too. Lots of dudes didn't have any money to replace those shocks when they blew out

Thanks, that gives me a little better idea of why people choose to do so. I can certainly appreciate the expense aspect of it. My money is pretty tight these days, like so many others.
As an aside, although it's not something I would choose to do, I have to say some of the Bobbers look Awesome!

DLD1

I agree. I wouldn't prefer one, but I like looking at them, especially the nicely done ones. Sometimes I'll cringe when a stock classic (of any make) is cut up, but less so if the cost of restoration exceeds the future value, or the finished product just isn't attractive or desirable. It's up to the owner, ultimately.

Back