Why is my bike locking up after rear wheel and tire replacement?

JBB

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
The rear wheel was recently replaced on my 1983 xs650 Yamaha heritage special. Now it is locking up within about a foot in either direction. What would cause this?

@JBB, just pulling your leg which isn't fair, sorry for that. Welcome to the forum and there are people who will help you find out why the wheel is locking. Just not a lot of information to go on yet. Do you mean you can move the bike forward and backward by just about a foot and the wheel stops? Well, obviously putting a padlock through there, which I have often done as a security measure would do exactly that if you forgot and tried to move the bike . . .

But after ruling out that or a disc lock, there must be something else having a similar effect. It might become obvious if you can lean down and listen and watch. Maybe put upon the stand and turn the wheel by hand?

Were bearings replaced?
If so not transferring #20 in this diagram from the old bearing to the new one a common error.
LH bearing spacer.png

Last edited:
Drum Brake? or Disk?
If the pad/shoe is rubbing different on the rotation, then something is not in alignment or possibly, something is possibly pinching something to make it out of round.
If its drum, did you clean out the inside of the drum? I have seen where junk built up on the inside and not cleaning it out well, left a build up on the inside of the drum. Cause its drum brakes, you can't see it unless you pull it apart to look.
If its disk, pull the pads off and check the rotation and that should tell you if its brakes or something else.

Back