Why the XS 650?

pdedse

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm pretty new to this site and am enjoying reading about the XS 650. I'll have to admit, though, that I'm not that familiar with it. I've never even had the chance to sit on one. If any owners care to comment on the following, it would be greatly appreciated.

1. If I were to buy one, what are 2-3 things that I would want to watch out for?

2. What do you particularly like about the bike riding it?

3. How easy / difficulty of a bike is it to work on?

I know these are wide open questions, just interested in what you like / don't like about it.

Thanks!

I have the xs650 heritage special and mine isn't that hard to work on, I had a oil leak and through this forum I learned what was wrong and fix it myself (pushrod seal) plus the tech section gives a lot of helps. The xs650's are a great motorcycle to own.

If you want to go light speed in .0003 sec, look at other bikes. The XS 650 is the Ultimate crusier ride. Don't get me wrong, you can get a speeding ticket on this bike but, it was made during that time where the National speed limit was 55 mph and this bike reflects it. It can be made to go faster but there are other bike for that.
What to look for before buying one. Rust on the frame. Especially where the battery vent tube is (or was suppost to be). Inside the tank, how rusty is it inside? How well the bike was/is being maintained should reflect in the price. Is it a rider or a instant project? Look at the cam chain adjuster. Lots of adjustment left or almost out of it. Wires, is it a rats nest or organised. Chaffed on the frame? Brushes on the alternator. Others will chime in on what else to look for.
I find the bike easy to work on. Carb removal and installation bothers me but, it's part of its charm too. I always regretted selling my first one and waited almost 20 yrs to get the second one( life got in the way). I like rear disc brakes on my bikes. Maybe you'll like drums. Either one will work, it's a matter of prefference. Parts interchange and availibility is very good. One can change these bikes to ANY style you want it to be.
Riding. Keep the bike in shape and carbs clean(inside) mixtures right and balanced. Match the suspension to your rideing style and this bike is smooth ride.
To me working on the bike, making it yours, is half the fun of these machines. I'm working on my '80 SG and loving the time I'm putting into it as much as I did rideing it before taking it off the road to replace the camchain and do some other changes to it.

Last edited:
I have the xs650 heritage special and mine isn't that hard to work on, I had a oil leak and through this forum I learned what was wrong and fix it myself (pushrod seal) plus the tech section gives a lot of helps. The xs650's are a great motorcycle to own.

Forums like this can be a real treasure.

If you want to go light speed in .0003 sec, look at other bikes.

That's why I have an '07 KLR650! :laugh: No, no speed demon here. It would be for cruising locally, maybe 2-3 day trips here in the Northwest.

...What to look for before buyingone....

Thanks for the comments. It helps to have "another pair of eyes" albeit via these forums.

To me working on the bike, making it yours, is half the fun of these machines....

True words...thanks!

Cheap, rugged, tolerable looking. Lots of former and current aftermarket stuff.

1. If I were to buy one, what are 2-3 things that I would want to watch out for?
low compression, bad sounds

2. What do you particularly like about the bike riding it?
best all round physical size and weight maybe. Nice and stable at highway speed, and no deadly quirks. (Mine at least).

3. How easy / difficulty of a bike is it to work on?
Very easy. And apparently hard to break as well.

(4) What do you wish it had?
Modern front brakes. Although they can be added easily enough.

LOL, I thought the same thing.. i was and kinda still am anti yama, but the xs is a breed of its own. Is a cool set up. Given, dealing with dual carbs can be a dick, but when it works it is a strong, kinda impressive set up. I am still screwing with this thing, but to ride it is a fun thing.

Add proper charging to the mix of what to look for.....these bikes should have come factory equipped with a voltmeter. Should charge around 14 volts @ 2k+ rpm.....take a voltmeter with you on any possible purchase. A fix on the charging could be a cheap set of brushes, replacement of some stock components of upwards to mebbe $150 or so depending OR a modern electronic replacement - as in a Pamco with all the needed parts and pieces..

If a bike is being sold with no mention of a charging problem and then you discover one at the time of purchase it gives you a bit of leverage on price negotiation.

650CC was a decent size engine back in the day and is still, lots of fun to ride. I enjoy the nostalgia and the "Hey Mister, that's a cool bike." or "I used to have one, wish I never sold it."

I like the way my XS delivers power ..... I can be in 4th or 5th gear at low rpm at the bottom of a steep hill and it will accelerate all the way to the top without down shifting. I like how it handles ( will be better once I get better shocks ,but still very flickable ). Easy to work on, parts are cheap and easy to get (compared to new bikes or old British or harley ) I have a standard E , I like the upright riding position and it works well with my height . One thing I am still getting used to is all the attention my bike gets . I have had people pull U turns and follow me just to ask questions and tell me how cool my bike is .

Some bikes are to big, some are to small, XS650 is just right. Some bikes are to heavy and some are to light, XS650 is just right.

Some bikes need many thousands of rpm to produce any power, but the XS650 motor has real torque at low rpms, which I find works perfect for me.

Some bikes run as smooth as a sewing machine and sound like a sewing machine, but I like the sound and the pulsing (some call it vibration :)) of the XS650. The engine has a soul, which seems to talk to you as you travel down the road.

Its very easy to work on, and once it's brought back from years of neglect and abuse, it requires only routine maintenance. Valve adjustments, timing checks and spark plug changing are simple to do.

The XS650 engine has that classic look, maybe the best looking engine that was ever built.

Just as Scrambled said, wherever I go, my bike receives so much attention, you start to feel like a movie star, although no one has yet asked for my autograph.

Yes, don't buy an XS650 if you expect a high speed bike. It was designed in the late 1960's and reflects a time when 48 to 50 HP was quite acceptable. Its a slow bike and I like that fact, as I would likely have killed myself on a 100 to 150 HP crotch rocket.

If you buy an XS650, focus first on getting the charging system working properly..............14.1 volts at greater than 2000 rpm. Once the charging system is working, replace the old ignition with modern parts so you have a good strong blue spark.

It goes without saying, the engine must have good compression, clean oil filters and frequent oil changes.

As a hobby/sport, its just about the most fun per dollar you can have.

Well said RG. I like a motorcycle that lets you know that you are riding a motorcycle. Ours are not chosen for speed or comfort.

Thanks so much for all the comments...you've given me lots of key words that I can use to do searches within the Tech area to learn more so that that I don't ask things that have already been discussed.

Greatly appreciated.

For starters, just look at one. That alone should sell you on it. All that cool reliability and powerband stuff is just fluff. It's the best looking bike, period.

As for just the styling of motorcycles go, to a point, I will agree with weaselbeak on the XS650 being a stylish ride (in stock form). Remember the CB77? Or even the 70's Laverda Jota? Ducati 750SS? The list goes on and on....

Like: I wanted one when I saw a minimalist bobber and thought it was the coolest thing I had seen in a while. I saw the side covers and knew it was a Yamaha but knew nothing more so I asked the owner what kind of bike did this use to be? He said an xs650 and I knew that I needed to buy one from that day forward with the intentions of building a bobber out of it. They seem to be somewhat plentiful and fairly cheap.

Dislike: The sound of these engines whether it be stock, rephased, and regardless of the exhaust set-up but that I can live with.

For that price I would expect it to be road worthy. Maybe not pretty but everything working with a clean no hassle transferable title.

It's not a bad price if he's not puffing it too much. I don't see the side covers but he says it's all there. I wonder what he means by fresh oil filter.

Back