Why would anyone keep an XS650 stock?

Tech7

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Seriously? To park next to my 78 Granada?...... Whoops, thought I was on the rants and raves section of Craigslist.. Sorry .... My bad:D Just kidding.

Attachments

• noid-102709_17052.jpg
    noid-102709_17052.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 165
Seriously? To park next to my 78 Granada?...... Whoops, thought I was on the rants and raves section of Craigslist.. Sorry .... My bad:D Just kidding.

Now be nice Tech7 :laugh: Here is my one owner "77" isn't she sweet :D and just to show off, my Kawasaki kz :D

Pretty simple. I just can't made up my mind to modify my XS2 or any other early XS. Around here, XS650 are very rare, all year combined. I just really like their look and I also their "history" (first 4-stroke Yamaha bike, first year for disc brake and electric starter, ...). I'm maybe dumb but this is my opinion.

My :twocents:

scott, those are beauties, are you going to hang on to the '77 xs? What is your next project coming out of your shop?

Here's the xs now and a pic of my little GS450.

Attachments

• 0207000833.jpg
    0207000833.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 137
  • CIMG0345.jpg
    CIMG0345.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 140
I never plan on modifying mine besides swapping the tailsection and bars temporarily. I like keeping it the way it is because people can't believe it's so nice after 31 years of use.

Attachments

• 101_0121newest.jpg
    101_0121newest.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 149
Oh my! I do love that apogee of XS development, the 1977 "D"---stock of course, but mine was the blue rather than the maroon. Both are beautiful. Now mine is black and gold, with a temporary tank from a '75.

Why keep them stock? I'm tempted to be an intelligent rectum and say: "Brains"....but that's not really fair. So let's see:

Modified bikes:

1. increase the value of my stock ones
2. provide a source of stock parts
3. make their owners happy, at least for short rides. :laugh:
4. provide an experimental base for genuine improvements, electrical for example
5. keep makers of weld-on hard-tails in business.....

.....and there may be others. I dunno. My bike isn't stock. It has bits from 1975, 1977 and 1979, but it looks like what it is: a 1977 D" with 63,000 miles on her. I love her, I ride the bejaysus out of her, and she gets washed when it rains....

Ummm....what was the question again? :bike:

"Why would anyone keep a XS650 stock?"

because a chopper/bobber/cafe would look like crap after you put your fairing and saddlebags on?

Attachments

• S6300131.JPG
    S6300131.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 145
One reason to keep them stock hasn't been covered.......plumb lazyness......heck I need a nap after just changing a tire..........xsjohn

Barb, I think I love you. Really,Iwas just kidding about this post. I am suprised nobody noticed the Ferrari on the lift behind my bike.

Hey Tech---

Thanks! Every Gramma loves to hear it! Now, about that Ferrari---no one noticed it because with that weld-on hardtail and Sportster tank it looks just like all the other Ferrari's. :laugh::laugh:

....and let the games begin...:D

Ouch! It is a real 275 GTB though. Actually a competition coupe. I worked in a restoration shop. And for the record, I know suspension works MUCH better. It is about the looks.

You know it's all looks and being tough, hench the best upgrade of all was the softail. Kept the nice drop seat backbone with the supension for comfort and to keep the rear wheel one the ground. Much more compfortable feel to. Look at all the Jap companys following suit in the last 20 years. The only thing I have always hated about a older Jap bike was the ass, mainly the seats looked funny and felt like you were sitting on the tank. My old stock XS750 special (befor I customized it) You'de be sitting on yer junk every bump. Rotton desighn for the boys! I cut 3/4 of the foam out that day. It wasn't as cushy, but I can still have kids!

Yeah Barb! It's about looks! :laugh: Now how about them heels?

No heels! I have one pair for weddings and funerals---not all that far apart, now that I think of it. Talk about self-abuse.....give me bike boots any day! :thumbsup:

I'd kind of like to see a modern adaptation of Edward Turner's "Spring-hub" that he used on the early 1950's Triumph twins. If you want the hard-tail visuals, but a modicum of comfort, it might be cool.....:shrug:

Of course, it was kinda complicated and only had about 2 1/2 inches of travel....

And by the by, if someone is gonna hard-tail a bike, how about equal time for springer forks! Want the image? Go all the way....:doh:

Onward into the fog....

Back