Why?

If the women reporters are taking it easy on the guys, it's a very unnatural thing for them to be doing. Maybe they know more than we do about women, the woman, the trial, etc. Or the news producer could be telling them to present it that way for the higher ratings cognitive dissonance brings...

If the girl can be so drunk that her consent didn't mean anything then maybe the boys can be so drunk their intent didn't mean anything. No intent no crime. Everybody go home.

From the girl There was no consent. No consent no intent. The boys on the other hand had intent without consent............No crime on the girls part. Intent without consent = crime on the boys part.

Hate to be your daughter.. "Dad i was raped"........"Never mind you were so drunk your consent didn't mean anything, go to bed"

The boys on the other hand had intent without consent............

Sez you in spite of it all. But I have to admit I haven't been following this story. Never even heard of it before.

I say "Too drunk to consent, too drunk to intent." Because it's worthy of Johnnie Cochran. P.S. My daughter wasn't there :)

P.S. My daughter wasn't there :)

In fact I like to think of her virginal self instead getting her master's degree at some Ivy League school in some modern humanitarian discipline I couldn't remember the name of. Instead of wasting her time being a statistic.

In that light maybe the victim herself should go to jail for a couple years for being such an ass.

In fact I like to think of her virginal self instead getting her master's degree at some Ivy League school in some modern humanitarian discipline I couldn't remember the name of. Instead of wasting her time being a statistic.

In that light maybe the victim herself should go to jail for a couple years for being such an ass.

I'm going to do you the courtesy of assuming you don't really mean that and are just trying to stir shit up.

As to the original point of the thread; I remember reading once that people buy motorcycle magazines to reinforce their choices, not to learn about new models.
The topic this developed into is a minefield, with no logical outcomes, but both sides need to remember: Jocks are given WAY too much glorification in Western society, and Western women have been conditioned to seek out bad boys. Both are recipes for disaster, especially when they coincide.
I have not been back for long, but I prolly won't argue much.

Downeaster, ponder this. If she was drunk again and she got in her car and had a crash then she would be legally responsible even if the crash was somebody else's doing. Even if the other person intentionally ran into her. I think some shared culpability is reflected in the relatively light sentences given to the perps. Not to sound like The View....

We're conditioned to agree you shouldn't drive drunk or you pay your consequences. Makes just as much sense to say you shouldn't drink too much at a party.

As to the original point of the thread; I remember reading once that people buy motorcycle magazines to reinforce their choices, not to learn about new models.

:agree:

I'm probably guilty of that myself.

then she would be legally responsible even if the crash was somebody else's doing.

I seriously doubt that.

And there is NEVER any excuse for rape or unwelcomed, non-consensual sexual activity. Never.

I have no more to say on this topic.

My first foray into the "random chatter" area of the forum. Interesting opinions, all. I like you guys too much to stick to just tech advice. ;)

To the first topic of discussion, I can say this. When you're new to this stuff, you want help but you also come in filled with "ideas" about certain shit from the buddies who got you into bikes in the first place. Stuff that might be completely incorrect, or an opinion rather than fact.
It's probably true, too, that some people are actually seeking confirmation and nothing more-- and when they don't get it, they get cranky. I for one would HOPE AND PRAY that none of the idiotic things I've learned to make my bike GO -- electric tape duct tape prayers and carb cleaner-- would ever be confirmed by experts. Please, save me from myself. ;)

On the Steubenville case, as a female (i'm 31) I find the fact that none of the witnesses came to her aid APPALLING. Almost as appalling as the rape itself. I've been pretty drunk in my day, but I've never seen a fellow human being dragged around, touched, and assaulted while unconscious and thought "gee, lemme get a quick pic of this, that's funny."

Who are these people?!

^I'm pretty sure the quality of the statements from anybody who hasn't been following this story is higher than anyone who has. Mr. Stalker. What are we going to do about your stalking?

Downeaster I am 56 years old I have a nice home shop can turn a wrench, weld and paint all with fair quality, not great. I have had a 77 650 for many years and riden and maintained it. There are alot of things I'm just not good at and ask for help here, most responses are very helpful and invaluble. I'm not great with computer skills so my posts lack info and pics at times. I read posts here on a regular basis and learn a ton for my (builds I now own 4 650s). I always hope I'm not that guy you speak of. Here comes the but when some people ask questions and the reply is we talked of that on another post or I'm not doing the resreach for you, some of us simply don't know how to find out. I own 8 or 9 bikes and have 4 650s and couldn't by looking at a carb in a pic tell what model it is and I know that most of the experts know this and are very helpful and I thank you. Someday I hope to post pics of my new rebuild that ALL of you helped me create.
Now moving on to the rape thing after teaching high school for over 20 years you can't argue with a 13 year old you won't win and it will just piss you off. If they want to be an asshole let them be an asshole just be happy their not in your family.

I'm not going to point any fingers or name any names, but lately I've noticed a few posts where noobs come here for advice, then either completely ignore it, or argue with it.

One of the many concepts that completely eludes me. :umm:

Just venting, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

yeah I know what you mean....its infuriating isn't it.

i give some tech help occasionally on a couple of Porsche 944 forums and its amazing how many new owners with no knowledge of their cars , ask for help then completely ignore the advice they are given .

I suppose for them its a case of whose advice do they trust :shrug:

On the Steubenville case, as a female (i'm 31) I find the fact that none of the witnesses came to her aid APPALLING. Almost as appalling as the rape itself. I've been pretty drunk in my day, but I've never seen a fellow human being dragged around, touched, and assaulted while unconscious and thought "gee, lemme get a quick pic of this, that's funny."

Who are these people?!

Its damn disgraceful and a few people need to look into their conscience if they have any.
We certainly don't seem to have any compassion for our fellow man these days .

We had a case some years back in an affluent town in the SE of England where a cctv camera showed dozens of cars carefully driving around a young woman who had collapsed in the gutter .

It was suspected that she had been hit by a car and left with her head bleeding on the road.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3700446.stm

Sometimes I would like to shake some sense into some people :banghead:

Now moving on to the rape thing after teaching high school for over 20 years you can't argue with a 13 year old you won't win and it will just piss you off. If they want to be an asshole let them be an asshole just be happy their not in your family.

^^:thumbsup::laugh:

dedede, I don't (usually) have a problem with folks that ask a question that could be answered with a little research. Been there and done that myself on many occasions. Sometimes it's because I couldn't seem to hit on the right search phrase, more often because I wanted to know NOW and not spend a couple of hours rummaging around looking for it.

I usually either answer the question if I know the answer, or point them to the appropriate tech section. Or, if I'm in a pissy mood, just pass over that post and go on to the next.

yeah I know what you mean....its infuriating isn't it.

<snip>

I have two grandsons that live right around the corner from me. They both learned two things about Grampy early on:

1. Don't ask Grampy to "help" you with something and then expect to stand there playing with your cell phone while he does all the work; he'll kick yer ass out of the shop, lock up the tools and go back to what he was doing when you interrupted him.

2. Don't ask Grampy how to do something and then tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about. See Item 1 above for results. :)

They both learned both rules the hard way. To their credit, it only took a couple of lessons for them to catch on...

^I'm pretty sure the quality of the statements from anybody who hasn't been following this story is higher than anyone who has. Mr. Stalker. What are we going to do about your stalking?

Ha, Ha, Ha, Another wise comment maybe you should drink some of that anti freeze so you can engage your brain before opening mouth :laugh:

I'm not going to point any fingers or name any names, but lately I've noticed a few posts where noobs come here for advice, then either completely ignore it, or argue with it.

One of the many concepts that completely eludes me. :umm:

Just venting, we now return to our regularly scheduled programming...

Another thing that gets me is new posters have searched the web to find the site, yet cant do a search or look in the tech before asking if the bike has points, or some other such simple question.

Back