Wide Tire or Standard Width? Help!

shaunmayfield

shaunmayfield
Reaction score
I come from a sports bike history and decided it's time to man up to build a 'real' bike. I sold my '05 ZX6R and am fully funded to start my build. Got a roller but I am having trouble deciding if I want to build my bike with a 180/200 rearend to keep in nature of my past with the sports bike look and fat rear end or go old school and keep it narrow. I love the look of both and I am stuck on what to do and it is stopping all progress :banghead:.

There is a lot of cost in going wide. HD rim, Offset or jackshaft (which I have already on my roller), etc. or save $200-700 and go stock width. Do I go sporty or keep the old school style? I am funded for either but saving money is always good!

Thoughts?

I also come from sport bikes. I love wide tires but like you said its expensive. I can get everything pretty cheap except the sprocket. I'm trying to figure out a way to offer something more affordable.

When you go to a wider tire 200 to 300 the cost is going to be high . There is no way around it but to buy a kit or go jack shaft. 130/140 is the closest you are going to go without problems. Sometimes its just as nice to fake the eye out and go smaller but look bigger. I am doing a bike now and it has a 21 on front and a 18x120 on back and it looks wider but its not.

Attachments

• wht bk.JPG
    wht bk.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 99
And correct me if I'm wrong, only Elswick and G&L offer a hardtail for wide rears?

@BigJimmy Thanks for the input. So far more votes for narrow.

@DaddyG, nice bike, I like the look. I currently have a jackshaft that came with the roller, however I am not a fan of them at all, I much more prefer Gary Poh's wide kit. Thinking about selling the Jack and using Poh's kit instead.

Like DaddyG says...Go narrow but with a tread pattern that fakes they eye. the Avon Venoms tread will trick they eye into thinking its wider.

Here is a frame i just did for a guy that will hold up to a 240 tire but he is going to use a 200. Tire in picture is GSXR rim with 180 tire and he is going to use the 200 kit thats out there for his wheel.One picture is on a XS 650 frame and the other is my KAW frame with 200 tire.

Attachments

• 200 tire.JPG
    200 tire.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_4152.jpg
    100_4152.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image002MA27516203-0002.jpg
    image002MA27516203-0002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 104
Back