wierd battery problem

Grinder

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I went out to start my bike today and everything was dead. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.8 so I started to check fuses/wiring etc. and could find nothing wrong. I then checked the voltage with the systems on and it went from 12.8 down to almost nothing. Took the battery to work and threw it on a load tester...junk. 0 cranking amps. Took it back to the place I bought it and they said the same thing. It's an AGM battery about 2yrs old that has a battery tender Jr. on it always when not in use. How can a battery have 12.8 volts and not even light a bulb? I've heard of this top charge thing but don't understand it.

It can have 12.8 volts but no ampage due ton a damaged or deteriorated cell. Happens all of the time. Especially on motorcycles due to the vibration.

That happened to me, I was way confused for a while, I got 3 months out of the first one finely decided it was bad got it replaced that new one started the bike one time, it was new so i did not suspect it bad.
Those 2 battery's cost me much grief and time, I thought bad electrics on the bike. Battery's + said they said they got a bad batch and restarted my warranty from that day.
the Best thing is all the electrical problems went away. It has worked perfectly after I got a good one.

Thats a great way to test your battery turn on the ignition and watch the voltage. Its voltage should not die:banghead:

This was a Battery's + battery also. The funny thng was I went to get the replacement off the shelf and the guy load tested the new battery and that one was no good as well. They had a rebate going on the next step up battery (X2 series) from what I had so I went with that (2yr warranty vs 1). We get batteries in at work with bad cells, but the voltage is usually down because that cell isn't producing. I thought the AGM batteries were much better at handling vibration if that was the cause.

Back