Wierd coil issue resulting in gas tank shocking me

Zombis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just recently just started having a weird grounding issue from my coil. I have a 1980 xs 650G. I bought a coil from mikes xs Part #17-6810 the original was totally shot. Anyways without the tank on bikes runs well like really well until i put the tank on. With the tank on, the bike stumbles and misses if i place my hand between the petcock and the carbs I get zapped. this is getting really annoying and seems mega dangerous having electricity pass from a vessel that holds gasoline to a component that atomizes fuel.

The coil is grounded from the original factory ground wire. once i find some batteries for my camera ill post a picture of my set up.

BTW the spark plug wires caps plugs and coil are newer like December kinda new (Birthday present to myself)

Im going to try adding another ground lead from the coil to the ground on the top engine mount and wrap the boots of the coil in electrical tape.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

That was happening to me too, I had a hard time mounting 2 green coils from Mike's and the boot on one of the coils was rubbing the inside of the tank tunnel and that spark is so strong it seemed to rather find a path to the tank than go down the wire. I'd try repositioning your coil. Make sure the boots don't have any cracks and make sure you've got the plug wire correctly crimped into that metal retainer which clicks into the coil.

-j

Yes, get your coil terminals away from the tank. Also, tv repair guys used to use a kind of putty to stop arcing on the high voltage. A thick layer of it. You could google it, or it might be something like silicone sealer.

That what i did. I found some dialectical grease and then busted out ye ol electrical tape around the boot. that plus making a new grounding wire and i was in business. If your going to buy this coil i highly advise you to either A: buy more boots Esp with the stock tank B: rethink coil placement so it can stay clear away from the tank C: just buy the stock replacement and not deal with this crap.

anyways i fixed the issue. And took it out for a 3 hour ride today, but now i have bigger problems; got the bike home and reved it a couple of times and then it died... tried to light her back up then nothing. pulled the plugs and turned the motor over by hand and wouldnt you know it? the right intake valve is stuck open... that side has been giving me issues for some time now, way too much tappet noise. like louder than the exhaust kind of loud.

my roommates giving me a hand tearing my xs apart.

any input on what I should replace while i have the head off? Im thinking cam chain and guides along with anything else that i broke.

Back