wife has problem shifting our xs650

will_855

78 xs650 owner here
Reaction score
I know electronic shift conversions are made for atvs and I am wondering if there is one made that will work on a 1978 xs650 cuz my wife broke both bones in her left leg about a inch above her ankle so she can shift down but cant pull the shifter up to catch a higher gear I have already been told to use a rocker shifter like u use with floor boards or a suicide shifter but would really prefure to find an push button electronic shift kit for her thanks for any help that yall can give

I know electronic shift conversions are made for atvs and I am wondering if there is one made that will work on a 1978 xs650 cuz my wife broke both bones in her left leg about a inch above her ankle so she can shift down but cant pull the shifter up to catch a higher gear I have already been told to use a rocker shifter like u use with floor boards or a suicide shifter but would really prefure to find an push button electronic shift kit for her thanks for any help that yall can give
I haven't heard of electric shift. If I were You I would make my wife a heel toe shifter arm like on crusiers. I have one on and it will take all the pressure of the foot. It will be easier to up shift than to down shift.

Hi will and welcome,
you'd have to make it yourself. A whacking great 12V thumbswitched solenoid to pull the shifter up with a light spring override for a normal footshift down.
Like they all said, it's a lot easier to make a heel and toe shift pedal.
But when is your wife's birthday?
Ger her a Suzuki Burgman.

you could try a klicktronic,i have one,maybe the older version as had it for years, but fitting on the xs650 is not easy without having a very heavy ram sticking out in mid air due to our frame and the motor sticking out a bit.its a lot neater on a modern frame and motor (BUT all reports on them are good,especially if you pay the extra and buy a ign disrupter as well) im sure there is a neater way to mount but as for a project xs650 havent really got around to playing with it yet,they are expensive but noticed a few coming up occantionally 2nd hand on usa ebay maybe a cheaper way besides suggestions above is a set of forward controls with the gearstick angled so can get foot/toe under gear stick and use the leg to shift (bit easier than doing same with mids) have similer problems

Last edited:
They do make a electronic shifter that goes up and down NOT CHEAP. They are used a lot on trikes. I will try and look up the company. They work great. Just like a air shifter for drag bikes.
OK CONTACT THESE PEOPLE
http://www.pingelonline.com/pc_comb...4362F8&pc_id=992223CE107642719F9FF961C04362F8

I know they were making something for street bikes GOOD PEOPLE

Have you ever thought of building her a automatic bobber Here is a 450 I built two speed high low. Has a bowie knife as the shifter. Hand shift

Attachments

• 684_n.jpg
    684_n.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 450cm.jpg
    450cm.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Check out early 2000ish Honda trx450es
I used the system off of that twice for projects. I think everything was under 400

Posted via Mobile

Back