Will a right side case from a 1979 fit on an 82 engine?

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
I have a couple engines (none worth a crap) and have been experimenting with rounding the Yamaha name from them.
The one I am doing first is from a 1979 but if it turns out good I will use it on my 1982 engine that is in my bike.
Will it fit?
If not I will be selling it here,,,it is actually turning out pretty good.
Pics when I get home..
Thanks all

WHEW !!!!!
Thank you for the reply,,,
I kinda thought it would but I needed to be sure from a source other than Googling it.
The case is turning out pretty nice but takes a bit of time to do.
I just might offer this as a service if anyone is interested.

I have a couple engines (none worth a crap) and have been experimenting with rounding the Yamaha name from them.
The one I am doing first is from a 1979 but if it turns out good I will use it on my 1982 engine that is in my bike.
Will it fit? - - -

Hi fred,
like WER said, sure it'll fit although the '79 case ain't got no port-hole in it, eh?
But WHY? WTF you want to take the YAMAHA name off it fer Chrissake?
Surely the time of being ashamed of riding a Japanese bike is long past?
And after the name is gone the metal will be too thin to carve a Norton or Triumph or Matchless name in it and nobody's gonna believe it anyway?

Nothing worse than being questioned as to ...........Why would you............................or WTF

If someone wants to do it .......................Why not....................

You always question a posters reason Fred and it is just plain rude and aggressive. Fair enough on occasion in some situations, but you do this so regularly it is offensive.

Nothing worse than being questioned as to ...........Why would you............................or WTF

If someone wants to do it .......................Why not....................

You always question a posters reason Fred and it is just plain rude and aggressive. Fair enough on occasion in some situations, but you do this so regularly it is offensive.

Hi Skull,
perhaps it's that I don't understand why t'other fred would do that and that I'd like to know?
As might others who are too shy to ask?
And I'm sure that if t'other fred is offended by the question he'd say so himself?
Or come up with a reason for the logo's removal?
Or both?
And BTW, you griped at me one time for commenting on a post you'd made. How about we make that a reciprocal agreement?

I don't see any benefit to sanding the name off, only a downside - you're left with a very thin cover. I've sanded scrape marks off from the brake pedal on more than a few of these so I'm thinking it's a pretty common occurrence for the pedal to get pushed into the cover during a fall. With the cover thinned down, I think you might end up with more than scrape marks. You could wind up with a crack or hole. I also wouldn't trade an oil sight glass cover for one without. I think that's a step backwards. There are other benefits to the later cover too. It has slightly more room on the inside between it and the clutch pressure plate, and a bit more clearance along the bottom between it and the headpipe. This can be helpful with aftermarket pipes.

I don't see any benefit to sanding the name off, only a downside - you're left with a very thin cover. - - -
Hi 5twins,
perhaps if you wanted (for whatever reason) to hide the side cover's big YAMAHA logo you could keep the cover's stock thickness by riveting an aluminum plate over top of the logo instead of grinding the metal away?
Such a plate could be left plain or be marked with whatever Logo one wanted. And one could easily change the plate for one with a different logo if (for instance) you changed your political allegiance. Or your girl-friend. Not like my buddy Stan. Stuck forever going on dates wearing a long sleeved shirt unless the girl was named Elaine just because of the tattoo on his arm.

OK,,,
HERE IS THE REASON,,,
I want the bike to look old. I do NOT want to DENY the YAMAHA name.
But the look and effect I want to create is that of an old vertical twin.
NO,,I am NOT trying to be anything,, nor am I trying to mis-represent the brand.
This is ART to me and I wish it to be representative of the machine itself,,, not what it used to be or what BRAND is it.
Cripes guys,,, I thought all above this.
Go and check the thread I just created,,And yea,, I cut the tank up too,,, so there.
It will be registered as an antique so no state inspection will be required.
:p

Last edited:
Hi Hitndahedfred,
well, fair enough, so long as you have a reason.
I just checked that new thread and your modifications have achieved the "old" look just fine.
Fellow CVMG member Don Papeneau did it the hard way with his 1934 250cc Panther.
It's rusted and faded and looks like it's never been stored inside or even washed since it was new.
It really annoys the other guys with their resto'd to nicer than new condition vintage bikes when he puts it
in the bike show line-up because it always starts first kick and usually wins the "Best Unrestored" prize.
I told him one time, "I know your secret, that bike is brand new inside"
"Yeah, but don't tell anyone." sez Don.

Thanks for the compliment? Fred
I mocked it up MANY different ways and it just didn't have the "look" I was searching for.
You would not believe how many handlebars I bought,, fenders,,controls etc.
Gonna keep most of it though as ya never know what the next one will look like.

Thanks for the compliment? Fred
I mocked it up MANY different ways and it just didn't have the "look" I was searching for.
You would not believe how many handlebars I bought,, fenders,,controls etc.
Gonna keep most of it though as ya never know what the next one will look like.

Hi Hitndahedfred,
no need for the ?. That's a nice retro build. I will move to your new post and nitpick at it there.
But bars, bars is like shoes, if they don't fit you they ain't right no matter what they look like.

Here is a shot of the case I rounded. It really turned out well. The shadows are of me taking the pic and the ceiling fan. I am doing the 82 case next,, will try both on the bike,,pick the best and sell the unused one.
1012161847a.jpg

Here is a shot of the case I rounded. It really turned out well. The shadows are of me taking the pic and the ceiling fan. I am doing the 82 case next,, will try both on the bike,,pick the best and sell the unused one.
View attachment 89666
Nicely done. I'd be interested in one if you decide to sell. I'm doing the same thing to a '75 XS.

Back