Will any newer streetbike front end fit on the 1980 xs650??

foxswank

FoxSwank
Reaction score
I have a 1980 XS650 thats been bobbered out. I was wondering if any newer streetbike front end fit the XS650 neck?? If anybody knows please let me know. I have seen a couple with them and wondered if they had to replace the neck.
Thanks
Fox

Yup many of them, spacers or bearing changes often gets 'r' done. Bigger issue is fork length, modern sport bikes have short forks.

I dont mind the shorter forks. It already sits a little lower in the rear. Do you know what year and models of bikes that would work for me??

I've got a set of ZX7 forks on my XS and they went on with a bit of machine work using the stock XS neck stem and the ZX7 triples. It lowers the bike a huge amount. If your back is already lowered you may have clearance issues trying to turn. The rear of mine is stock height and with the ZX7 front I've dragged the exhaust without even trying.

One thought I've had is trying to find the nice inverted front forks from a super-moto bike like a KTM or Aprilia Dorsoduro. They are really nice looking but are much longer than a supersport, so would probably work well for a chopper/bobber style bike.

last night i just installed a 954 front end on my bobber/street tracker. i used the upper and lower 954 tripples and the stock xs stem pressed right in! it was great... now just wheel spacers and we are good!

I tried to fix the link but failed.

Dang - I wanted to see it.
I don't think you can link facebook pictures since most of them are set to only allow your friends to view them. You can use photobucket.com to host pictures, it's free and pretty straight forward. Otherwise you can click the "manage attachments" button at the bottom when you post a reply on this forum. This will upload the photo to XS650.com, but may not be viewable by non-members.

Posted via Mobile

CHOOKS, I took the liberty of attaching your photos to this thread for some inspiration

Attachments

• xs1.jpg
    xs1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 277
  • xs2.jpg
    xs2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 244
I sure like the look of inverted forks. I have a passion for mixing parts. I saw a Z1 one time ( I owned a '74 Z1 for 15 years ) that had sportbike forks/wheel on the front and sportbike swingarm and wheel on the rear. I know this is done by some. But this bike was beautiful and I always kick myself for not buying it. It was awesome. It had the classic Z1 look to it ( which I think is about the best looking bike ever ) with the tough race look and performance of the better braking and suspension system. I'm not a sportbike guy . . but that bike I wanted. So seeing something done like that to an XS is pretty cool too. However, it does sit low . . any way to make this work??

i have a 90 zx600d front end,looks like it will go right on with stock xs bearings,bearings and stem length are the same,just have to mod stops,i am gonna use it on a future project.

sorry i didn't do it... thanks hun :) it actually has worked out pretty easy, waiting on the wheel bearings because i am using a 954 front axle and making custom spacers for the front end to be perfect. still bouncing around the idea of front brakes and what kind of adapter i would have to make for the nissin front caliper from a 954 to work on the 19" xs650 rim.... and also the possible upgrade to floating rotor compared to the old school original. :yikes:

Back