winter chop project

stravus98

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I finally made an account here to post some parts I had for sale and figured I'd make one of these threads as something to look back on with all of the photos in one place.
Bought a nice 81 back in July and immediately tore it apart. Unfortunately shortly after my phone got slammed in a car door so I don't have any pictures of the bike before I cut it in half.

IMG_2451.jpg

IMG_2452.jpg

Test fit before welding

IMG_0011.jpg

All glued together and mocked up with the girder

IMG_2321.jpg

I'm, not a huge of the TC bros hardtail but at the time I was too impatient to get going. Idiot.

IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

Trying to get a feel for how this thing will sit. Looking at this had me super motivated

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

And there she'll sit until I have month off from school in January.

And here's my trusty cb.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

Haven't updated this since the first post. Had a local shop machine a stem for this front end. Mocked up in my garage trying to get an idea for how it will sit
IMG_1198.jpg

Tank mounted, at this point I started to make some real progress as I was determined to be riding it in the spring

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

Exhaust, brake, sissy bar, fender and footpads all done. I ended up making the footpegs out of bmx bars and half of the stock foot peg mounts

IMG_2085.jpg

Starting to feel somewhat handy on the welder

IMG_2105.jpg

Scored these cool lights and made a little mount for them

IMG_2148.jpg

Front wheel looks off in this one but its just the picture!

IMG_2392.jpg

At this point all I had to do was install Hughs CDI kit. Im scared of wiring and not good at it but I went slow and so far it hasn't caught on fire or fried anything, the kit also comes with great instructions. Ive got the bike starting first kick now but after the bike has run it will kick back wicked bad when trying to start so I still have to figure that out and continue to mess with tuning.

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

I know the pipes make it look like its running lean but the plugs say otherwise and the metal is pretty thin on the bottom bend from grinding down the welds too far

The bike is just in primer right now, after riding it more and working out the bugs it will get painted Montego blue

Back