Winter Face Lift

chewblanca

Jack of Few Trades
Reaction score
This is a bit of a build thread.
I want to document my ownership of this bike I acquired 2 years ago. I've been fixing things here and there and changing it to my taste since I owned it. My style has been super simple and cut down. I like minimalism.

Here is when I picked it up 2 years ago!
.5.jpeg
0.jpeg

Love at first sight. Had to have it! Bought it in the cold of November so didn't get much time with it.
Had lots of goodies. Rephased, 700cc and a big cam! what more could a guy want!

So I ended up changing up the bars and some accessories stuff a big here and there. Also added a front brake as it rode okay it wasn't ideal.
1.jpg

Changed up the headlight mount to Venture Style and added the Yamaha beauty trim to the front triple.
2.jpg
The original foot pegs scrapped a tad and I ended up knocking them severely loose on a harsh corner. (the case was like that when I got it i didn't eat it that hard)
3.75.jpg

So I ended up switching to a set of FR1SC0 Mids from Jump Street Custom and trading the HHB Speedster pipes to a set of vintage Gordon Scott I think they are?
5.jpg
6.jpg

Rode it in this configuration for quite some time! Then the advance unit ended up kind of grenading itself. That was fun. Chewed the threads on the cam pretty severely.
8.jpg

So I opted to ditch the Pamco and go with a VAPE system from Gary Hoos. Crank Fire and Computer Timing Baby!
9.5.jpg

Beautiful Cam Covers
10.jpg

Tucked the Fuse Box on a piece of Lexan under the seat. Kind of hidden by the frame from the side.
9.jpg

Put almost 2,000 miles on it like this Summer 2k19 and she was a ripper!!
11.jpg
13.jpg

Last edited:
It was about now I kind of realized I wanted to truly clean things up on this bike. The front end just wasn't speaking to me. Here is a bike I really fell in love with: Narrowed Mullins Triple, 19 inch Morris Mags and a Performance Machine big brake setup squeezed in! (Bike built by @anthony73robinson)
Inspiration v1.JPG

So I decided to put my own spin on it. Unfortunately this meant ditching the Heritage Special Wheels as the spoke pattern and hubs are too wide to fit big Brembos in a narrowed set of triples but they went to a good home!
I enlisted Jump Street Customs help again and Jason whipped me up a set of Narrowed XS650 Trees! I added the Headlight mount myself.
14.jpg

Here they are mocked up on the bike for the first time after I powder coated them Chrome.
I also shaved and polished the forks the rest of the way and went with +4 tubes and a set of 35mm Showa Harley Springs.
As you can see the hubs on the mags had to be cut and smooth quite a bit to fit in the narrowed trees.
15.jpg

With the limited the space I ended up needing a front brake rotor with 0 offset. Which is apparently hard to find!!
It was at this time I had almost wished I went with a Harley front setup as they already use rotors with 0 offset. But I wanted to do it my way.

So I enlisted the help of ISR Brakes a company from Sweden. Gave him all the dimensions and asked him to make a matching rear rotor for a Harley rear wheel. Check these big babies out! Semi Floaters 100% custom made. I was ecstatic with these. Couldn't be happier with them.
17.jpg

I ended up having to Countersink the front rotor holes as there was no room for a bolt head to stick out.
19.jpg

In fact I had to grind ALOT of material off the fork legs on the inside to clear the buttons for the rotors. Also had to grind the spokes and the back of the caliper to get everything to fit. But It works! Had to re--polish my forks after that. Wasn't thrilled about that.
Whipped up some 7/8 Stainless Tbars. Little tall on the first go around but that will be remedied later.
21.jpg

Once this step was done I tinkered around and stripped and half ass polished the accessories. When I rebuilt the master I broke out the glass so I improvised!
23.jpg
16.jpg

Polishing old cast kind of sucks. I'm used to doing forged wheels or stainless so this was not fun for me.
Next up I had to sort out the rear master cylinder situation and linkage. I made a bracket and used some 1-1/8 Tube Clamps so I could keep it modular if I had to move it. This is V1 of the extremely offset linkage. Did not work whatsoever believe it or not!
24.jpg

Adjusted the master cylinder out a little bit and made a new style. This is V2. V3 is on the way since this still has some major deflection. It does kind of work through.
28.jpg

Got the rear brake caliper bracket in from Jump Street so I can be matching front and rear!
brake.JPG

Stripped and Cerakoted the Calipers GOLD! If anyone is interested in this service HMU! I don't rebuild them but I'll make them pretty!
22.jpg

Okay so now I was on the home stretch! Heres the wheels fresh out the oven, it's very nice to have friends that own a powder coating business! Very grateful that my friend let me hog up space in his shop for this winter face lift.
25.jpg

Okay so during this period I chopped the bars down a little bit more and cleaned up the wiring. I also made up the final dimension front and rear wheel spacers. Luckily everything fell on 1/8 inch intervals so it wasn't too technical there. I also got my Mr. Lucky's 30 tooth Harley conversion sprocket. I had to make a new and longer kickstand, Bent one up out of 9/16 rod in a vise with the help of the OA Torch. Here it is mostly in its final assembly phase once I got it rolling around.
26.jpg

Let me tell you mountin tires on fresh powdered wheels is pretty stressful. I ended up balancing them with airsoft BB's. 2 OZ in the rear 1 OZ in the Front. Dont need no ugly weights. It only took a ratchet strap and 3-4 attempts with starter fluid to get the front one to seat.

Last edited:
Took it out on its Maiden Voyage just this last weekend. Wow stops like a sport bike! Who would've guessed?! But seriously feels super nice.
However my 18-30 tooth sprocketing sucks, which I knew it kind of would but wasn't sure how bad but it's pretty bad. Lugs hard. Coming from 18-33 I had to take a link out of the chain as it was too long. Well now the rear tire kind of rubs the back fender because it's too close, isn't that nice.. Anyone want to trade for a 17 or 16 toother? Kind of forced too at this point.
27.jpg

So coming up next is V3 of the rear brake linkage.
Then maybe some fancy -3AN tucked brake lines.

Also want to change the bars to be just a tad shorter again. Currently at 9 inches of rise. Thinking 6 or 7 inches will be the sweet spot. But before I do that I need to get my lathe going so I can make some better bungs!

Airsoft BB's do seem to balance out well. I only was getting vibrations from the rear tire rubbin on the fender a touch.
Cleaned the air filters, Adjusted cam chain, valves, did an oil change and added an sump filter guard. Man do I love UNI's so easy to maintain.
7.jpg

The carbs need their float needles and seats cleaned but that's pretty average. Just kind of annoying.
I'm thinking this weekend I can put some real miles on it and get some more updates and photos comin!

Back