Winter Weather is upon us...time to return to Basement Hobbies.

Nice work DE. I wish I had your patience.

Last edited:
View attachment 232547
Folks on a couple of other boards (gasp!) gave me some ideas for this space on the farm diorama, and a couple of other small areas.

View attachment 232548

At the front edge of the layout, I carved out a spot for a quarry. The base is 2 inch styrofoam blue board so carving it was pretty straight forward.

View attachment 232549

Once roughed in, the styrofoam was covered with a layer of plaster of paris to allow for some detail carving and tinting with watercolor washes.

View attachment 232550

The quarry will be flooded which is why it was abandoned. After the washes dried, I added some bottom debris and aquatic plants. Now I'm waiting on Santa-zon to drop off my epoxy and tint for the water.

It'll be surrounded by a neglected, rusty dilapidated chain link fence. There'll be an abandoned rock crusher inside the fence and (if I can find the right figures) a couple of kids sneaking through the fence to go swimming. Not that I know anybody that'd do something like that...

Another project that will be tucked into a small area is a family cemetery. I've printed up the headstones with actual family names and dates and found a really neat "hairpin" wrought iron fence on Ebay to go around it. Pics as the situation develops. (Sorry...)

Finally, I'm working a a smokehouse to go back by the woodlot. Stone foundation and log structure, but in good repair and still in use. I have an idea or two on fashioning a wisp of smoke coming out of the chimney, remains to be seen if it works.
You could make it a N.J. quarry, complete with a submerged car with a dead body in the trunk. On a serious note, wonderful attention to detail.

My dad was a great small scale engineer; building his own metal lather and wood working lathe from scrap and washing machine parts!
He then made a number of static steam engines; including a double acting twin cylinder unit, which were working models (sadly all given away / upcycled or stolen when his shop was infiltrated by scum bags).

He also built a number of scale model war galleons from original ships plans; the largest of which stood about 4'0'' tall.
He would spend hours steaming wooden strips to cover the hull structure. Also turned the cannons and rigging blocks on his lathe.
The one below is all I have of his after he passed away. A cherished thing for me; but not for the cat that got in the rigging!

View attachment 232025
View attachment 232026
This one was relatively small compared to the others.

Beautiful ship model! That looks museum quality! 👍🏻

cemetert.jpg

Family plot is pretty well finished. After the glue cures and things are secure, I may go in and add a little more detail like flowers and such.

quarrypour.jpg

Second of what will likely be 3 pours of tinted epoxy on the flooded quarry. Only supposed to pour 1/2" at a time to avoid curing issues. That picture was taken immediately after the pour and most of the bubbles have since migrated out or been popped with a pin.

and most of the bubbles have since migrated out or been popped with a pin.
I've watched Youtube videos of epoxy pours like yours. They take a propane torch or heat gun and run it across the epoxy. The bubbles just melt away like butter.
A little off subject.... but what 3D printer are you using again?

I was going to complain (and I had ugly words😎) until near the end I finally found
ford offerings in blue and grey and red and grey. My brother has a concrete silo on his farm that is visible from the interstate for only 2 or 3 seconds when you drive at 70 mph. I always thought he should do the "USAF" treatment to scare the curious traveller.🤣
Cheers.

Back