Winterizing in the Pac NW?

xscessivecompulsive

Live 2 Ride, Ride 2 Live
Reaction score
Hey fellas, Just had a quick question as Im getting ready to put the old girl away for the winter!Ive heard mixed thoughts how to properly store a bike for the off season. So lemme run down what I was gonna do so and see if you guys think its sufficient! Im charging the battery know and was gonna try take it for a run today, and fill the tank full and add some stabil! Then afterwards pull the battery and put some wood under the tires. Was also gonna put a cover on it to! Does that sound good enough or is there some things Im missing?

Thanks in advance,

XsC

What I'd do is change the oil, drain the carbs, stabil the tank gas, clean all chrome/aluminum and polish, check tire pressures, plug the exhaust pipes, pull the battery and put it on a battery tender. I dont cover mine. Just makes it easier to remember to wipe it down.

STABIL fucked me last year. It did nothing. I had a convo with a guy that stores hundreds of four stroke machinery engines every winter, he never uses STABIL anymore, something about the ethenol in gas now prevents it from working. SeaFoam still works like a charm, he said, and that's what I'll be trying this year.

^ Weird... I wonder what happened there?? On the website for Sta-bil, in the FAQ, they say it's good for ethanol blends including E-10, E-15, and E-85. http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#5

On the subject of winterizing, I'm pretty lazy about it. I put Sta-bil in the tank and run the bike for a bit. Then (sometimes) I remove the battery and put on a battery maintainer. That's about it! :eek:

Back