Wired turn signals not working like anticipated.

Dakota_Lew

XS650 Agronomist
Reaction score
Hey all.

Doing a fresh rewire (self made wiring harness), and all is going just fine & dandy things are working as anticipated, but my turn signals are not... Had some turn signals for an R1 I picked up a year ago for my old R1 "someone" laid over, never installed them before i sold the bike, i figured i could wire them over to the XS with out much issue. I actually was kind of thinking that since they were LED they shouldn't suck to much juice and be a little easier on the charging system, maybe that was just wishful thinking.

Actual link to them on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Signals-Aluminum-Universal-Motorcycle/dp/B003UNPHA2/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_t_2

I actually think they look pretty cool for the look i was going for.
headlightturnsignals.jpg

(Link to a bigger version of the same pic:http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/7688/headlightturnsignals.jpg)

Now here is the issue, when i wire them into the system threw the forward right hand control (stock controls) they hardly come on at all (super dim & hardly trip the flasher relay). Its like they are drawing far more then the 12 volts. Actually when i put a multimeter on them they are dropping it down to 5 if i wire two into the same circuit (which i want to do) they drop it down to 1.5.... yikes.Out of curioisty i thought the forward control had an issue so I wired them in directly and still the same issue, so i know the forward control was not the issue. (proved by a multimeter).... must be the signal units them selves.

One Grain belt and a good dose of Knob Creek later... i decided to strip the original signals and hook them up and see if they worked to triple check my hypothesis, and holy cow they worked something fierce, the flasher relay was thumping pretty hard (startled me haha). so yeaaaaaa... its obvious now its the actual turn signals units them selves.

So now i am stumped why the LED signals wont work worth a dam. I seem to be missing something here, and there doesn't seem to be enough grain belt out there to get me to grasp why/how (wink). I am hoping some one can point out my mistake in why they dont work or my mistake in thinking these signals would have worked.

Thanks ahead of time!

This topic comes up on a regular basis. Bottom line................you cannot use your stock flasher unit with LED turn signals. The LED's draw next to nothing in current flow, but the stock flasher requires a large current flow in order to flash.

Learn to use the "Search" function in the upper left corner. Type in something like...............LED flasher. That will give you lots of threads to read and understand what you need to do to make things work.

I believe it was XSLEO that uses the #LFS-1-flat Universal LED flasher sold by www.superbrightleds.com

Back