Wiring 17-6903 ("Ultimate Coil") to 1978 XS650

samburger

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just got my Basic Pamco Kit from MikesXS, but I can't figure out how to wire up the new 17-6903 coil. After removing the condenser, I'm left with a turquoise wire & a green/yellow wire. I traced both of these back to the same terminal on the ignition switch. Based on the Pamco install instructions, it looks like I only need to reuse the hot wire that goes to the kill switch, & splice that one into the same connector as the red wire on the Pamco unit. Since both of these wires go to the same terminal, am I correct in assuming that I can use either one to power the coil, & the other just gets capped off & tucked away?

And to clarify, since the wiring diagrams suggest that these two wires were not the ones that came from the factory, each of these (green/yellow & turquoise) connected to the brown wires on the stock single coils.

Yes, someone changed those wires. They were red/white on the stock set-up. There were two but "Y"d off the same source, from your kill switch. You can use one to power the coil, the other to power the Pamco. That's how I set mine up anyway. I didn't share the coil power connection at the coil with the Pamco. I know some wiring diagrams show doing that but I had two separate power wires from the same source so I used them. I also fused the one running to the coil with a 7.5A inline fuse.

Yes, someone changed those wires. They were red/white on the stock set-up. There were two but "Y"d off the same source, from your kill switch. You can use one to power the coil, the other to power the Pamco. That's how I set mine up anyway. I didn't share the coil power connection at the coil with the Pamco. I know some wiring diagrams show doing that but I had two separate power wires from the same source so I used them. I also fused the one running to the coil with a 7.5A inline fuse.

Apologies 5twins, I thought I responded to this. But I read your advise before wiring the bike up & it was much appreciated, separate power leads will make diagnosing any issues down the line much easier. Thanks for the help!

Back