wiring help

madoco

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time on this forum. i am converting a stock 75 xs650 into a streetracker. I plan on using the stock wiring harness. I bought a TC Bros fake oil tank for the electrics to go in. i chopped off the passenger footpeg brackets that housed the brake light switch, how do i replace that or modify that?also was going to eliminate the brake lining indicator. i was not going to run turn signals and getting rid of stock instrument panel ,question is whats the best way to replace handlebar switches/speedo and all that? (Mikes SX) any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks Madoco

Are you running a front brake? If so your brake switch can function off there from the master cylinder. I don't quite understand what the brake lining indicator means.

As far as using the fake oil tank, are you planning on keeping most of the stock electronics? I saw the no turn signals, no stock gauges. But if you are keeping for example, the safety relay, the RLU etc you are gonna be hard pressed to fit all that in the "tank". To be honest with all the changes you wanna make the stock wiring harness might not be best for you, your navigating into a rewire.

As for replacing gauges and handlebar switches, plenty of places to find aftermarket stuff. Can't speak for the quality of Mikes stuff in that regard. But I've found dimecitycycles.com to have decent stuff at reasonable prices. Finding what you like comes down to you to find what you like aesthetically and functions right for your needs.

On the early models there was a switch on the rear brake plate that when the pads wear down enough the switch turns on a light on the dash.
Fake tanks look ok, I guess, but the reg/rec should not be in the fake tank. It needs goo air flow to prevent overheating.
If you look up in the TECH section you will find a listing, "Some Wiring Diagrams" it may help you.
Leo

Back