Wiring/Ignition Question

mhanks71

80 Chopped XS
Reaction score
Hey guys. I need some help plz. I have a 3 position deluxe key switch I bought from Lowbrow and on the back it has IG,B,and L. If i'm right those stand for Ignition, ground(B), and Lights. Am I right ?? I want to be able to start the bike with lights off. When you turn the key on with this switch does the lights or ignition come on first ? And if the lights come on first can I just swith the connections in back so the Ignition is first and the lights are second that way I dont need a toggle swith for the lights ?

best way i know to test switch for a test is run a hot wire to ign. and use a test light to neg side of battery while turning switch . this will tell you what terminal will be hot in key position

According to the website the switch has 3 positions off, accessories and on. The (B) I think would be for battery, the (L) for accy and ign to your coil. You would have to check the switch with a continunity tester or ohm meter to see if the accy (L) terminal and the ign terminal are both on with the switch in the 3rd or on position to be able to do what you want to do.

Harley used a key switch that was off/on/on with lights. The first on was just the ignition, the second on turned the lights on. Most three position switches are off/on/ acc. In on power goes out on the ign and acc. in the acc power just goes to the acc.
On your switch the B is the battery input, Ign is the ignition, L is the acc.
I would wire everything through the IGN. If you want you can hook the taillight to the L. This way if you have to stop next to the road at night, put the switch in the acc position and the tail light will be lit so people will see you better.
Leo

From your description you basically have on (run) and ACC as in maybe parking lights.

If you're wanting to leave the lights off untill it's running you'll need an interface relay that works off the alternator. Note this is what 78 up safety relay and later safety /lighting relays did. Course being a bobber you probavbly did away with that. But a small black cube relay can do the same thing tied to the yellow wire on the stator. (unless you're running P. Mag. alternator conversion. :~)

Ken in TN

#1 use a relay tied to the stator yellow wire switching on the lights once the alternator is charging.

Using the J&P switch everything not ignition goes on the lights terminal.
Mhanks71, Had a thought, on the lowbrow switch hook it up to a couple light bulbs. Hook battery positive to the B terminal, one bulb to the IG and one bulb to the L. Ground the bulbs to battery negitive. Now put the switch in each position and see which bulbs light in which positions.
Let us know how that works.
Leo

So I hooked up the ign switch. First I hooked headlight to "L" on switch and turned key on, first click nothing, second click light came on. Took light off "L" and put it on "IG", light came on first click & stayed on for second click of the key. So as long as I have the Ign hooked up to "IG" & lights to "L" I should be good to start with lights off then turn key to second click to turn lights on after running right ??

Maybe, Does the ign terminal stay hot in the second position? If it does then you can wire it that way and be able to start the bike then turn the lights on.
My suggestion of using two bulbs would tell you this.
Leo

Do you have a link you can post on this lowbrow 3 postion switch? Have another 650 owner wanting to go with just ignition and lights.

ken

Back