Wiring in a replacement solid state rectifier/regulator (not a nylon screw thread)

Mosfet,

This is awesome. Thanks for the help.

What program did you use to make your wiring schematic? It's really nice and clean.

I am using the Motogadget wiring kit, ferrule ends, crimp/solder/shrink butt and spade connectors and a marine main fuse from DelCity, and 2 quick disconnect blocks in the whole system. Super clean and correct is my goal.

I'll be running dual intensity brake/turns (Brake/running on one wire, turns on the other... I hope.)

http://www.hightechspeed.com/products/XArc/index.asp

Cheers.
Update: The Dual Intensity arcs won't work for my intended use... the duos won't work as running/brakes and turns. I picked up the Xarc 3 element (turns/ running/brakes)

FYI

Hello MOSFET, excellent thread... I read with great ernest! I am on the brink of wiring from scratch a 76' rebuild. I am using the HHB CDI PMA... Do you foresee any issues pairing this with the M-Unit? I am drawn to the Motogadget item for two reasons, cleaning up the wiring, and simplifying the install. This will be my first foray into a re-wire...

Just know, the M unit needs a battery to work. And the hbb kit has a regulator that would overcharge a lithium ion battery.

Just FYI, Electrosport regulators have a reputation for being cheap, unreliable crap. The stators seem to work just fine though. I'd stick with a good Shindengen regulator/rectifier. You can get a SH775 series regulator for a permanent magnet system which will make it run cool and reliable for a long time.

Just FYI, Electrosport regulators have a reputation for being cheap, unreliable crap. The stators seem to work just fine though. I'd stick with a good Shindengen regulator/rectifier. You can get a SH775 series regulator for a permanent magnet system which will make it run cool and reliable for a long time.
+1 for the series SH775 for anyone fitting a PMA. I've been using one on my Suzuki GS850 for 2.5 years and not a bit of trouble from it. Many others have found the same. Hey, it only took 37 years for the gremlins to be laid to rest...

Just know, the M unit needs a battery to work. And the hbb kit has a regulator that would overcharge a lithium ion battery.
Thanks QWERTY. I do plan on running a battery... But you're saying the M-Unit is out then eh due to the overcharging? Doh!

Thanks QWERTY. I do plan on running a battery... But you're saying the M-Unit is out then eh due to the overcharging? Doh!

Just the battery. You can still use the M-Unit, but some of those aftermarket regulators allow too much charge to the battery and can fry a lithium. Ive never seen it, but have heard of this.

The nice Japanese rShindengen regulator/rectifier is supposed to be fine. But I would still ask around.

[QUOTE="EDIT: I will post up my custom wiring diagram for my bike after work, so you can follow that to hook up your M-Unit, and charging system. I read from your other thread that you run a pamco ignition, mine still has the points ignition, so you'd have to ignore that part of the diagram.[/QUOTE]

Hello MOSFET, curious if you ever came up with posting your wiring diagram using the M-Unit? I'd be very interested! I am hoping to be running stock signals, lights etc, but CDI PMA. There doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of diagrams with the M-unit. I am sure its an easy update to an existing diagram, but that's where my inexperience takes over!

Hello MOSFET, excellent thread... I read with great ernest! I am on the brink of wiring from scratch a 76' rebuild. I am using the HHB CDI PMA... Do you foresee any issues pairing this with the M-Unit? I am drawn to the Motogadget item for two reasons, cleaning up the wiring, and simplifying the install. This will be my first foray into a re-wire...
You are hearing about Electrosport products being crap. These same chinese products are supplied from Electrosport to RM Stator who in turn supplies HHB. Just help you out to be aware of what you are buying.

Guys, I am leaning on swapping out the HHB CDI R/R for a SH version. Does anyone have a good recommended source for finding the right one? Here is what I found, wondering if this is the right option...

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

Attachments

• SH847.jpg
    SH847.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
SH847 here we come. Seems like a no brainer. My only question is that the SH847 shows 3 yellow wires... Where the HHB option has only 2 yellows. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 259
Honestly I have no idea. I prefer the stock charging system. Something that has been working for 35 yrs has my vote. I see a lot of other aftermarket stuff melting within a year.
I see a lot of people ripping out all the stock stuff before they even learn about it because the masses "say so".

Honestly I have no idea. I prefer the stock charging system. Something that has been working for 35 yrs has my vote. I see a lot of other aftermarket stuff melting within a year.
I see a lot of people ripping out all the stock stuff before they even learn about it because the masses "say so".

Usually I would agree, and refurb the existing OEM components form the bike... My bike was in pretty rough shape, so a wholesale from scratch approach seemed like a good way to go... Now, if I only knew what I was doing...

SH847 here we come. Seems like a no brainer. My only question is that the SH847 shows 3 yellow wires... Where the HHB option has only 2 yellows. Any thoughts?
All good PMAs have 5 wires. 3 that come from the 3 phase stator windings, and 2 that go to battery+ and ground. The 3 from the stator will be the same colour, maybe white or yellow. The one to battery positive should be red, and the ground wire should be black.

If a PMA only has 2 wires coming from the stator (4 total) , then the stator is only a single phase winding, instead of 3 phase. Single phase PMAs are not desirable, as they produce more ripple voltage on the DC output. I would not buy or use a single phase alternator.

Last edited:
Guys, I am leaning on swapping out the HHB CDI R/R for a SH version. Does anyone have a good recommended source for finding the right one? Here is what I found, wondering if this is the right option...

http://www.roadstercycle.com/
I can't help you with finding the right one.
George......................can I give a little advice? I see you are re-building an XS650, and that is a good thing to do. However, you seem to be spending a lot of money on electrical parts.............HHB parts (expensive but low quality)...............Shindengen( very expensive but high quality). I sense that you don't have much experience with the XS650, and perhaps your electrical knowledge is a little weak.

With these old bikes, its much better to go slow when starting out, as it takes a while to find the right path. I see that you removed the stock alternator and charging system......................do you even know if it was working or not? The stock alternator is a high quality Japanese component. NOS automotive regulators can be bought for $35, and new 3 phase rectifiers for about $5.00.

You seem to be following the crowd down the PMA path. I think PMAs are the wrong way to go with these bikes. The uncontrolled PMA always generates 200 watts when going down the road at 4000 rpm, while most bikes now are only consuming 90 to 115 watts. The unused wattage is just lost heat energy to the atmosphere. They are very inefficient and components tend to run very hot. By contrast, my bike only consumes 113 watts, and guess what, my stock 200 watt alternator adjusts to only produce the required 113 watts. My stock alternator is efficient and there is no additional wasted heat.

That SH847 ......................wow, $200 and rated for 50 amps. That is overkill. The alternators for these bikes only put out about 16 amps maximum. If you must go with a PMA, try to buy something down around 25 or 30 amps rating.

I know most new lads to the site want to discard the stock alternator, as they feel it must be inferior somehow. Of course the aftermarket sellers are glad to tell you, that an alternator from 1970's or 1980's is just so old it couldn't possibly work very well. That's marketing hype and makes them a lot of money.

Just my thoughts.................regardless of what route you follow, I hope you enjoy your project.

Back