Wiring issue

Stoop22kid

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So yet again another wiring issue. I'm running a kick only with a capacitor. I have a toggle switch mounted to my ebomb tank. I'm getting 6v from my cap to the toggle switch when switched off. When I flip the switch on the 6v goes through the switch like it should. But as I was unhooking everything I dropped my red test lead onto the engine and the engine read 6v.......since my toggle switch and ebomb tank are both metal is that carrying the 6v from my cap to the toggle through the ebomb and from the ebomb through my engine mount to my engine? This is the diagram I used except mine is a rephase.
a5f4fa272a61e11b67729d2afe8d80de.jpg

Hi,

You won't be able to start with your headlights on using a capacitor only. Not enough voltage to supply the lights and the Pamco. You should also have a 7.5 amp fuse protecting the Pamco. For starting use a kill switch and isolate everything except the power to the Pamco/coils. At idle you may only get about 11volts but around 14 at approximately around 1500RPM or greater.

I've attached my wiring diagram. I have a small alarm type battery and a capacitor.

Attachments

• Glenn's Wiring Diagram rev.pdf
    119.1 KB · Views: 104
So the switch I have wired in now....can I leave it where it is and just put a toggle for the lights? Also it's not in the diagram but I do have a fuse protecting the Pamco. But I'm still wondering why the engine is reading 6v

Hi,

Think about the switches this way. The ignition switch is the master and with it off no current in any circuit. You then need another switch that cuts off all current to all circuits except for the coils otherwise with a capacitor only system, you can't get enough voltage to start the bike. The lights will drain it off to quickly. The 'kill" switch shuts off or turns on the current to the Pamco/coils. Is the toggle switch that you have downstream of the ignition switch and the one shown by the headlight in your diagram? Do you have a kill switch?

Are you measuring the 6V with the bike running? Are you reading your voltage meter correctly? Have you got it running with a battery and a disconnected PMA and regulator? This is what Pamco Pete recommends.

Are you measuring the voltage after you shut the bike off? With a capacitor only the voltage will bleed off to nothing after a while. Its not a battery that produces electrons but only stores them. The voltage will decrease to 0 after a while. If you know this already, then sorry for the explanation.

The only switch I have brings power to the pamco/coils. I don't have a headlight or taillight wired in yet. The bike is not running. The cap is reading 6v. I did get t started with a seperate battery connected to the Pamco. It's just worrying me that when I touch the red lead to the engine that it's reading 6v also. I'll try to get some pictures in the morning. And explain it a little better.

Here are a few examples. With my toggle switch on.....the ground lead is connected to the negative on the capacitor.
c3a888422e61b95d86157d069af0bf61.jpg
f03c30b99ca21b1848dfb7dab214321c.jpg
8e69773094da6c61097cb9b5bb706b68.jpg

Looks like you have this voltage by just kicking it over with the engine not running? What is the voltage running at:

1200 RPM ?
1800 RPM ?

Looks like you have this voltage by just kicking it over with the engine not running? What is the voltage running at:

1200 RPM ?
1800 RPM ?

Yes. This is coming from just kicking it over. Because guess what! No spark again. I'm back to tracing wires (when I get a day off, 12 hour a day, 7 days a week, 5pm to 5am doesn't leave much time to work on this thing) I've got some dyna coils on the way so I'm gonna hook those up and see if I can figure this damn thing out

That's what I thought from your voltage readings which appear fine! You need higher RPM to get higher voltage.

Make sure you are not leaving the switch on that powers your Pamco. You can burn out the unit. From Pete's page:

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installation.htm

2 Do not apply power unless both spark plugs are connected.

Do not test for spark with one or both plugs disconnected.
Do not disconnect battery with engine running.
Ensure that the battery cable connections are secure.
Do not leave the ignition on when engine is not running.
Do not use MikesXS part number 17-6810 ("Green Monster") coil.

I sympathize with your work schedule, done similar for many years and thought I was doing good when I got Sunday's off. Worse was one job being on random on call 24/7. I found out how little sleep I could survive on!

That may be what happened I'm not really sure. But like I said I've got some 3 ohm single output dyna coils on the way so I'm gonna see if they work. But as far as my work schedule goes....I can't say I work too awful hard I'm just here for a long time haha

Great, success fells good!

I ran a ground wire from my frame to one of the motor mount points too. Its worth checking ohms on your lowest meter scale, 200 from your picture, between the frame, your ground point and the motor.

Back