Wiring Question

krob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score

Attachments

• Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram (1).png
    Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram (1).png
    40.2 KB · Views: 141
No, that diagram is for the '80 and later system. You don't want the brown, then red, run to a brush. Just have the brown (switched power) feeding into the reg/rec. Run the green to the outer brush, black (ground) to the inner brush.

thanks 5twins...so it would be like this one.

Attachments

• charging system.jpg
    charging system.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 136
Yes, as long as you have the early style ('70-'79) alternator. It would look like this, with timing marks cast into the alternator housing .....

BzlvmLV.jpg

That is what i have...2 more questions

I purchased a pamco ignition, I am using a stock ignition coil from a 1980 650. In the diagram above there is a green wire that goes from the pamco to the coil. My coil has an orange wire...do i connect the green and orange? Might seem like a silly question, but want to be sure.

Also should i put a fuse between the key switch and the brown wire of the regulator? There is not one on the diagram.

You don't absolutely need a fuse on the brown wire from the key to the regulator. The main wire feeding power into the key switch should have a 20A fuse on it already. Yes, the green from your Pamco can connect to the orange on your coil. The other wire on the coil, the red/white, gets switched power from the harness, running from the key through the kill switch to the coil. That way the kill switch can "kill" power to the coil.

Another question...do the plug wires, coming from the coil going to the plug, differ left from right...just wondering because I need to fabricate a mount for the new coil and the mounting position may differ depending if the right and left wires are differentiated. Thanks in advance.

No, the plug wires are not a specific right and left. You can run either one to either cylinder. Your dual output coil fires both plug wires at the same time, every time it fires. The cylinder that is at TDC on the compression stroke fires, the other cylinder gets what's called a "waste" spark.

In addition to the above, the dual output coil produces a positive voltage on one of the plug wires and a negative on the other. Your timing light works best on the negative wire, but there is no easy way to determine which one that is, so if you are seeing an erratic flash from the timing light, try switching it to the other plug wire.Some timing lights will not work at all on the positive wire, so try switching to the other wire if that is the case. You can decide to connect the negative wire to the left side spark plug for convenience when setting the timing after you have determined which wire that is based on which wire works best or simply clamp the inductive clamp backwards to the left side if that is not the negative wire.

Back