Wiring question

payaso13

1978xs650
Reaction score
I have question on starter relay. What was the"spare" red wire used for stock?i know i have red to starter, red to battery. Does the red/white wire go to r/w of stock switch? Also does B/w wire connect to b/w on right bar switch? Its a hardtail but want to use stock switches. Also as far as ground...top engine mount has ground wire..should that be connected to engine? Like say battery to frame..then frame to engine? Also brake light only has 2 wires. I assume its grounded by mounting? Does one wire go to switch and other to switch and fuse box for power?Annnnd...the aftermarket headlight has highbeam indicator..can i simply wire that to neutral switch instead?
20210112_111849.jpg
20210112_103509.jpg

Red, where the arrow points to, goes to the ignition switch.....Through the fuse first.....Depending on the year of the bike and what relays you use, but the red/white goes to the safety relay and also the light checker on later 78-80 Specials .

77D, single fuse........................79SF/2F, 4 fuse block
77_XS650D.PNG79_XS650SF&2F.PNG

Br/White to left bar indicator switch.

Taillight, one wire goes through the rear brake switch, factory Loom, (Yellow) front brake switch, factory Loom, (Green/Yellow), and the other will be the running lights. On the factory loom that is the Blue, (L), wire...........if you only have 2 wires then the light base should be the earth. Factory bikes have the guard rubber mounted so the taillight has an earth/ground wire .........need to check and make sure of the ground through your guard to the frame

Last edited:
Thank you. Its a 79 hardtailed...not using relays. but am using stock handlebar controls. Guess the r/w and b/w wont be used.

No indicators ???.............If your using the starter motor the safety relay shuts down the starter motor as soon as the engine kicks in

Yes im gonna use a fuse block to wire in signals,horn ,tail/brake, headlight. Reading through the tech section now. Want to use stock bar controls for electric start, off on off...and headlight, turn signal, horn other side.

here is a breakdown of the systems for a condensed wiring loom...........pamco ignition
Main Circuit............................Charging...............................Ignition..............................
XS650 Part 1 Main Circuit.PNG XS650 Part 2 Charging.PNG XS650 Part 3 Ignition.PNG

Headlight/Taillight....................Brake lights............................Signals/Indicators..................
XS650 Part 4 Headlight-Tail light.PNG XS650 Part 5 Brake light.PNG XS650 Part 6 Turn Signals A.PNG

Complete project
XS650 Complete Project A.PNG

Last edited:
Back