Woah, look at this, what happened?

badassjamie

Blow Me
Reaction score
Complete rebuild in the making...Engine is LOCKED TFU . Just digging in but for those that have been there before, what am I likely going to blame this on, other than an idiot PO.

Fubar Cam chain, toasted piston? Yeah that's Metal in that port. Gonna have to tear it all down, see whats needed.Got my work cut out for sure.

Attachments

• IMG-20130219-01254.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01254.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG-20130219-01252.jpg
    IMG-20130219-01252.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
rusted timing adjuster nut? What, was the thing submersed in the ocean? I am of the opinion that if I can tear down a barn find and get it beautiful and make it run, it's totally doable. I don't see how you're going to get the fins and all that cleaned without really tearing it all down and blasting the frack out of it. Once you get the head off, you'll be right at the pistons and see what is going on in there to cause those shavings.

It was't running, was it?

Yeah the ol' girls got some patina wouldn't you say.

This was a barn find that was originally a swamp find, so to answer your question, yes, it likely was submerged. Also, Siezed. Gonna bring her back regardless.

Yeah the ol' girls got some patina wouldn't you say.

This was a barn find that was originally a swamp find, so to answer your question, yes, it likely was submerged. Also, Siezed. Gonna bring her back regardless.

Wow, those pics are ugg...ly! That would be the ultimate challenge, to re-use that engine. Better to look for another.

Stilll good!

But actually, melt it down and use the money for a not so shitty, shitty motor.

that motor is toasted, why? well I have to agree with above toasted answers, see. you can find an engine for a few hundred or less, maybe even a running/semi running one for that. if thats the case, it would be so much better to work on than something that not only needs everything replaced, but also completely cleaned, if at all possible. believe me, my engine was bad, and it sucked to get looking nice and run great. yours is TOASTED... just sometimes easier to start than to run backwards then start is all

No one's ever gonna call me lazy, this engine can be saved. I've brought a few back from the dead. The easy way is to just quit & find another motor. The rest of the bike is in the same state, carbs, frame, everything.

For me, the next best thing to riding a bike you completely built for the first time is to revive one that everyone thinks can't be saved. Yes, I'm one of those who will make it a point just to say it can be done. I'll be sure to reference this thread down the road when I post up some after shots.

I am not saying that it can't be saved. Go for it.

Just post a photo of that engines serial number soon so the after shots have that 'wow' factor.

These engines are build like a tank, just about all of them can be rebuilt! Might end up replacing some valves/pistons/cam/etc along the way but as long as the case and crank are workable you are in good shape!

Your call, I would buy another motor, save the heartache & $$$. Especially for the price they can be picked up for in the US.

$300 complete stock runner that probably needs a tune,PMA & Pamco = $600 total
Fixin that POS = a couple thou - easy...

I wouldnt say a couple of thousand, or that it cant be done... Its just that if someone said I could walk to NY from Alaska for $1500 and 3 months of walking, Or, fly in a jet for $300 and it would take 7 hours... thats all I think anyone here is saying, not that it can't be done, just that Its better not to...

look at my thread, "restoration files" that was close to a thousand hours and I started light years ahead of that motor

Back