Wondering how to remove a Fuel Petcock filter without Damaging it?

IamTheMarcus

Young & Dumb
Reaction score
I don't even know if you can remove them and replace them without damaging the old one. My Yamaha XS 650 H (1981) was left in a barn with about 1/4 of a tank full, for about 13-15 years without being run, so I don't know whether to stick with inline, or what. Please help!

re9FnIi.jpg

RJTt2IK.jpg

JAEN6LT.jpg

m5g8Bqv.jpg

5jAy19H.jpg

dig out loosen the grunge around the base after spraying, I have dental picks I use but a sharpened spoke or piece of heavy wire would work (coat hanger, fence wire)

Grasp flats of base firmly but not crushing hard from the side with a slip joint pliers, wiggle and lift.

Since I have a couple petcocks on my workbench, I went out and gave it a shot. Mine are off a 78, so they could be different from yours. These are a two piece filter, the bottom about 1 1/2 inches high the top about 1 inch. The top pulls off easily, the bottom, not so much. After prying the sides with a small screwdriver, I was able to work it up out of the hole a small amount. I couldn't really grasp the sides without wrecking the screen and the tube inside. I took a small vise grip to the pickup tube, and wiggled it back and forth till it came out, then I could pry the filter out of the hole with a small chisel and a little pliers action.

Good luck,

Philip

Back