Won't spin over 5k?

jb57

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Howdy, I've got an '81 special ii that I've been doing some work on. Motor specs are stock motor, BS34s, 2 into one exhaust, free-flowing muffler, pod filters, and Canadian needle set. right now i have 45 pilot, 145 main, needles raised to fourth notch. I go to run a full throttle test, and it gets to about 4,500-5,500 and hits a flat spot in the power band, and can't get past that, even with it held wide open. I've tried new plugs, richened the needle from third notch to fourth and see very little difference. Adjusted float level to spec and still no big difference. Its running pretty lean, after checking plugs, porcelain's almost stark white. Do I have a clogged fuel filter or a crappy fuel line or what? Feel like richening my needle won't help too much and its running really lean for a decent size main. I'm in western Missouri if that helps much on altitude or air pressure. Please help!

Interesting, i have almost the same setup on my bike and the same problem. I just thought it would not rev higher. Then thought the tachometer might be broken and would not exceed 5k, but it would if i attached a drill.

How do you know its running lean on the mains?

They're cheap cone pod filters off of ebay or amazon, not oiled. I have cut the insides on angles so as to not block the holes on the intake bells of the carbs. Checked the plugs, and they're very white after full throttle runs. I get to a flat spot where it'll buck, much like when you let the clutch out and not give it enough throttle, and it can't decide if it wants to stall out or run, only around 5k rpm, give or take.

Ya know, the issues with those cheap cone filters have been spelled out too many times to repeat. Pitch them, install UNI's or large-volume K&N's, then quit playing "Write it all again just for me;" access the XS650 Garage Carb Guide and read it.

Yes, 4 to 5K problems are one of the common cheap pod problems. Remove them and try a test run to see if it makes any difference. Also, 2-1s can be difficult to tune for. Most are made with no regard to performance but rather for looks and fit. Many times both the head pipe and collector I.D.s are too large and need to be sleeved down.

Yeah, my pods look almost exactly like the Emgo pods on Motorcycle Superstore. How are Mikes performance pods? I've heard some people swear by them, and some people swear at them. I don't have a great big budget, which may be semi limiting. This would probably be the last things in the way of it finally running right to ride.

Thanks. Tried it without the pods, and ran just perfectly. Will be ordering some quality UNI pods here right quick.

Yes, get the UNIs. As far as pods go for the 650, they work the best. None of the K&N style or even real K&Ns work as well. The pleated design of the element disrupts air flow and CV carbs rely on smooth air flow to properly lift the slides.

you say the cheap xs pod filters, but i have got these installed:
15-0554.jpg

and it doesn't want to rev over 5k either. Going to try without filters first to make sure the K&N are causing it. Would suck because they cost a lot.
Problem is that those UNI filters are not available in the Netherlands (Europe).

How about this type of filters:

15-0510.jpg

Back