wont start...

wheelhouse8

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I am building a chopper out of a 82 xs650 special and used the wiring xs650 simplified wiring diagram on the forum that eliminates the starter. However, the starter is still installed and can be manually run to save the leg.

Things to know:

1. has spark (a little weak, but was weak when it ran last)

2. I used the black and white (2nd one down) diagram that Inxs posted (eliminates starter)

3. when I turn the ignition on I loose approx 1V.

4. timing was checked for positioning against a runner [how you ask? well, let me tell you a story...I totally dismantled the top end and put it back together, after not starting I second guessed myself on cam placement. But at TDC the cam pin hole (used with advance weights on earlier models) on the R side is facing perpendicular to horizontal and straight down...same as the runner so...timing...good]

5. jumped the starter to save the leg added a dash of starting fluid (not so much as a pop)

6. battery has been sitting about a year (but charged)

7. tried jumping the starter with the motorcycle battery, nada...(used a car battery)

8. carbs have been rebuilt and receiving fuel

9. still sparking...no starting

10. rotor and stator check out with ohm readings

11. cleaned off pickup coil contacts

12. cleaned off spark plugs (they have maybe 50 miles on them)

13. all components used were off the same bike that was running last spring

14. I'm confused

15. hope you like the pics...all with a 4.5 in angle grinder

Questions:

1. does the battery act as just a conduit for electricity with this harness or is it a vital
part? will a capacitor work as well?

2. It should at least fire a time or two, right?

3. anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC02711.JPG
    DSC02711.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02706.JPG
    DSC02706.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC02707.JPG
    DSC02707.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 81
OK...forgive the ignorance but I had my Bro over the mess around a bit more tonight. I took the year old motorcycle battery off and hooked it right to a small car battery I had in my garage that I knew was good (and charged). We jumped the starter motor and vroom she took off!! and sounded sweet too! guess I need a new battery....it commonly turns out to be the obvious:thumbsup:

Hope ya'll liked the pics anyway. I will post more when done.

Thanks

Back